Chain Wax or Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Default Chain Wax or Alternative

In looking through posts about chain oiling, it looks like a number of you recommend a spray oil product called Chain Wax by Maxima. There is a store locally that carries this product, but it is a little bit out of my way. Have any of you found any other spray products that you would recommend that are available at one othe big box stores like Wal-Mart or at the Kawa dealership?

I am looking for effective and not too messy. It sounds like the recommended 90W liquid is a mess.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Chain Wax or Alternative

Yes, I did the 90W gear oil, wiped her down real good, let er set up for over 24 hours, wiped her again...
Then I rode it and got disgusting stinky gear oil splattered all over the chain guard and countershaft sprocket cover... (Castrol synthetic 90W - man it stinks!)
What a disgusting mess - never again will I put oil on my chain.... Chain wax is the shiznit.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Here is another great tutorial with pictures and everything. I have to comment on chain wax, well I hate it basically. A few weeks ago I drove down to Oregon to pick up a couple of bikes for a friend, and the guy has some old chain wax on and let me tell you it's almost impossible to get back off the chain or any other parts it gets on. Anyway take a look at the link and keep in mind this is a complete step by step of removing, cleaning and re-oiling the chain, very useful.

http://www.neatknacks.com/ubb/ultima...c;f=6;t=000198

Old 09-01-2006, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Uuggh...[:-] I would never soak my o-ring chain in solvent... That's just asking for trouble... You'll end up with a 50/50 mixture of grease/solvent inside your rollers, trapped by the o-ring seals... IMO, the procedure in the above link will do more damage than good because you'll remove the lube inside the rollers and never get it back in.
I've heard only good things about chain wax. Seems to be the only chain lube that the bike retailers stock up here.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:59 PM

All I've done so far is just spray the dirt off the chain with the water hose and put 90 wt gear oil on it. With the chain guard on, there doesn't seem to be much of a mess. Just a little oil on the front sprocket area. Doesn't really bother me. The bike is gonna get dirty.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I tried chain wax and I didn't care for it. I just use the heavy oil and apply lightly - two drops per link, one on each o-ring. There's a little sling, but not much - just a few drops on the rim, nothing I worry too much about - the mud usually washes it off

Old 09-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Uuggh...[:-] I would never soak my o-ring chain in solvent... That's just asking for trouble... You'll end up with a 50/50 mixture of grease/solvent inside your rollers, trapped by the o-ring seals... IMO, the procedure in the above link will do more damage than good because you'll remove the lube inside the rollers and never get it back in.
I've heard only good things about chain wax. Seems to be the only chain lube that the bike retailers stock up here.

Actually you are right, I got rid of the o-ring chain a while back, they do make a cleaner for o-ring chains that you can use.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Chain Wax rocks!!!! I love the stuff - thats what I use on my bike!

Old 09-02-2006, 08:24 PM

I use Motul offroad chain lubricate, it cleans up easily with simply green. Tryed some of the "chain wax" type products and it was impossible to get off the chain. I go ride, spray the bike down with simply green and rinse it off with my power washer. Looks like new....

Quick Reply: Chain Wax or Alternative