chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The OP mentioned he had the tools to cut off the chain so wasn't worried about learning how to remove a chain.

You can't remove the chain from the bike without taking it apart. I do like you and just roll it off of the sprocket in order to remove the rear wheel.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I used the DID 520VX2 chain, although not in gold. It came with the the clip style master link. If you are worried about chain length, get a longer one. You can always cut it to the right length by grinding the pins @ the length needed.
A cheap chain tool can help to press fit the new link on if your having trouble.

Tusk Chain Press Tool | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Originally Posted by ahnh666
found it with master link, but doesn't say if it's a clip or rivet...

DID 520VX2GB-106 Gold X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link : Amazon.com : Automotive

looks like they sell the clip link for the did vx2 for $8

Motorcycle chain rivet link

Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NDKLX'd
I used the DID 520VX2 chain, although not in gold. It came with the the clip style master link. If you are worried about chain length, get a longer one. You can always cut it to the right length by grinding the pins @ the length needed.
A cheap chain tool can help to press fit the new link on if your having trouble.

Tusk Chain Press Tool | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
I have used that tool to put on a master link on my other bike. I can't get the clip off the master link on my KLX chain. Any tips on getting the clip off. Would it help to squeeze it with the chain press? This may be a stupid question but I can't get the darn clip off.....

Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

You should be able to pound the clip either forward with a screwdriver and a hammer or put the screwdriver in the clip and just turn it to force the clip open without sliding it forward...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Not sure if the chain press would help in that situation. It took me some effort and multiple tries with different width standard screwdrivers to spread the clip, and other tools to push that dam clip off. A third hand might help. I didn't have a chain press when I replaced my chain either. I fashioned my own with a c-clamp and a couple spare link plates to help press the new plate into place. Yeah, I'm that cheap. Another tip, sometimes longer chains are cheaper online than the size needed.

Originally Posted by dogfarm
I have used that tool to put on a master link on my other bike. I can't get the clip off the master link on my KLX chain. Any tips on getting the clip off. Would it help to squeeze it with the chain press? This may be a stupid question but I can't get the darn clip off.....

Last edited by NDKLX'd; 04-12-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: I'm cheap!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you guys having trouble with the clip or the side plate? I modified ( they sell these too) a pair of pliers that work great for getting the clip on and off. ~$3 https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...me-made-32795/

Name:  IMG_6463.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  43.4 KB

for the side plate I use a little press tool from RMATV that I got for ~$10
Tusk Chain Press Tool | Motorcycle | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dan

Old 04-12-2013, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
You should be able to pound the clip either forward with a screwdriver and a hammer or put the screwdriver in the clip and just turn it to force the clip open without sliding it forward...
I'll second this method, BUT do not reuse the link plates afterwards. Chains are made from relatively brittle hardened steel and once they have been deformed by hammering & prying, they'll be much more prone to failure! It's not worth the risk for the cost of a new master link...

Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Are you guys having trouble with the clip or the side plate? I modified ( they sell these too) a pair of pliers that work great for getting the clip on and off. ~$3 https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...me-made-32795/

for the side plate I use a little press tool from RMATV that I got for ~$10
Tusk Chain Press Tool | Motorcycle | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dan

I was having trouble with the clip. The homemade clip pliers looks like a great idea. Thanks for the link.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
was much easier than expected......40mins
Knew you could do it! If only electrical problems were as simple!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Just my .02 on chains.
I have always used high end DID chains since the days of scrimping and buying lowball chains that would stretch like rubber bands quickly.
Always excellent service for street or dirt. Hard to believe how good all brand top shelf chains have become since Z1 and RD350 days. When I encountered my 1st endless chain I remember thinking "no way-what da you mean it doesn't have a masterlink"! I am cool with the chains but I do miss the throttle slide carbs we use to have.

Steve

Quick Reply: chain replacement