chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default chain replacement

removing stock klx250 chain and installing new...any help or instructions?...tools i'll need?...

local shop quoted me $120 (1.5 hours) to replace both sprockets and chain....i can do the sprockets myself, but i need the chain on too....my other option is cut the stock off and replace both sprockets...some how get the bike to the shop to install just the chain only...chain is kind of important and didn't want to have a major failure on such an important part on the motorcycle...

dealer shop wanted $150 (1.5 hours) to replace both sprockets and chain

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Easy but requires some tools.
- Removal is simple. Just grind the heads off 2 adjacent pins and punch them out to release the link.
- Installation requires a vice/clamp/vicegrips to press-fit the plate onto the pins. Then it depends on what type of master link you have. A clip-type requires just a set of needle-nose pliers. A rivet-type requires a chain-pin knurler, or a punch and anvil.
Specialized chain tools are also available.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Really? Standard O-ring or X-ring chains with a standard master link are removable and replacable on the side of the trail. A little extra love to pop the sideplate off of the master link after you pop the clip off and again to replace it.

It will be harder to replace the sprockets than to replace the chain.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
any advice on the chain easiest to install?
Easiest: definitely anything with a clip-link, like the DID. Clip inks can be bought separately too. **Beware** clips can come off but I have only seen it happen at very high speeds (>250kmh) that the KLX won't be able to get anywhere near.

Standard vs 0-ring: It's up to you. Price & less friction are the two big advantages of standard. Low-maintenance is the advantage of 0-ring. Again the little KLX doesn't put a lot of stress on a chain. I would never run a standard chain on a high-horsepower bike but I have one on my KLX and it's fine.

Last edited by go cytocis; 04-10-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I am running DID VX2 on my SF and I am very happy with durability, compared to the stock chain it replaced. I have the one in gold/black color and it looks really nice.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a couple spare clips (few bucks each) from my local motorcycle shop about 6-months ago. I don't like to take them on and off more then a few times.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
found it with master link, but doesn't say if it's a clip or rivet...

DID 520VX2GB-106 Gold X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link : Amazon.com : Automotive

looks like they sell the clip link for the did vx2 for $8

Motorcycle chain rivet link
Reading the review for that chain the reviewer wishes it came with a rivet rather than a clip style link. Having a spare couldn't hurt.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't cut the old chain off. You need the practice anyway and removing it the proper way is not hard. I would avoid a riveted or "endless" chain at all costs.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure the stock Kawi chain uses a clip style master link. Keep that as a spare in with your tools out on the trail. Youtube vids are the way to go. When you instal the clip that holds the master link together , install it so it's closed end is facing the direction the chain travels. This will tend to keep it in place.
Dan

Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I must not be following something here... why would a chain need to be cut off?

To get my chain off I simply loosen the rear wheel and slide it forward. I would think you'd need to do that to replace the sprockets anyway...

Quick Reply: chain replacement