Chain Lube

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Default Chain Lube

What is everyone using on their chain? I've stuck to the SAE 90 the manual calls for but I'd be interested in other options if there's something better out there. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Chain Lube

ORIGINAL: navyman

What is everyone using on their chain? I've stuck to the SAE 90 the manual calls for but I'd be interested in other options if there's something better out there. Thanks.
That's what I'm using. Note that you don't really need to lube an o-ring or x-ring chain that much. The chains are pre-greased internally and the o/x-rings keep the grease in and the dirt out. You only need to keep the chain clean and a little lube on there to keep the o-rings working. Just takes a drop on each o-ring, and mostly only needed after washing off the mud since you'll be washing off the lube then too.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:20 AM

I think Chain Wax out of the can works good and its easy to apply, you can pick it up at any of your local dealers.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I use, well I bought and plan to use a product called Dumonde Tech BHP Chain Lubrication and O-Ring Conditioner.....Wow that's a mouthful. Supplier is HG. I have to confess I only used it once when I first got the bike, and now I have 800 miles on it, but all of my riding has been on the blacktop and hardly none in the rain. But I'll bet 90 weight is probably just as good. I just bought this stuff because that's what the parts guy said was the best.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 AM

Not using anything yet, but I have a can of Silkolene waiting to be used. And when I get it off-road, I will also be using dirt.

Hey Navyman, even though you are not here yet, welcome to Washington! If you are coming over in July/Aug, you will be moving when summer actually begins here and I hear (from my neighbor) there is a off-road riding area in Belfair which is not too far from the Navy base.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Silkolene chain lube

Old 04-10-2006, 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: okiswede81

Hey Navyman, even though you are not here yet, welcome to Washington! If you are coming over in July/Aug, you will be moving when summer actually begins here and I hear (from my neighbor) there is a off-road riding area in Belfair which is not too far from the Navy base.
Thanks for the welcome and I am really looking forward to getting there. SD is not a very fun place to off-road - at least not the area I'm in now. I see that there are quite a few Washingtonians around this and the advrider site. Do you all get together on rides? I think that could be a lot of fun...

Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: sdunne

I think Chain Wax out of the can works good and its easy to apply, you can pick it up at any of your local dealers.
I saw this stuff just the other day and grabbed a can. I just can't bring myself to use it. How does it work? My can doesn't say it'll work for o ring chains... I got it from a bicycle shop and they said it would work fine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks everyone for their input. That Silkolene stuff is looking pretty good too.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:27 AM

I saw this stuff just the other day and grabbed a can. I just can't bring myself to use it. How does it work? My can doesn't say it'll work for o ring chains... I got it from a bicycle shop and they said it would work fine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks everyone for their input. That Silkolene stuff is looking pretty good too.
Chain Wax works great, it suits me good because I do tons of off road riding threw just about every type of terrain. So that means that my chain usually needs to get oiled often. I just put my bike on my stand spin the wheel and spray the chain takes alot less time than traditional oils.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: okiswede81

Thanks for the welcome and I am really looking forward to getting there. SD is not a very fun place to off-road - at least not the area I'm in now. I see that there are quite a few Washingtonians around this and the advrider site. Do you all get together on rides? I think that could be a lot of fun...
You will have to ask Tony about getting together for rides around here seeing how I have only had my bike for 3 days. Like I said before, there is a riding area in Belfair and my neighbor and his wife want to take me there and see what I can do in the dirt. I think they want to see just how hard I can hit a tree.

Quick Reply: Chain Lube