Chain Lube

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Chain Lube

This topic comes up from time to time and in the past I've always used 90W gear oil - two or three drops per link. Works fine, however, I think I've found something better:

The consistency is similar to water, actually, maybe a little thinner. I still use just 3 drops per link - one on each o-ring and one on the roller. The liquid mostly evaporates leaving the teflon lubicant behind. The advantage over oil seems to be that your chain ultimately stays cleaner and should wear better since oil attracts dirt and grit, but since this goes on pretty much dry, it doesn't suffer from that. Also, there's no oil sling which easy to do if you put on too much oil.

It's made for bicycle chains, so check your local bike shop. It's pricey, but using just a few drops per link it lasts a long time.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Chain Lube

That stuff works great, Thats what I used on my mini's[8D]

Old 06-10-2007, 12:36 PM

That looks like a great product. I've been thinking about making a change. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 PM

As I was poking around to see what Brian meant by "pricey" I found the site for the manufacturer. It looks like there are a couple of other interesting options from the same company. I am particularly intrigued by the ceramically reinforced one. It is probably just a marketing ploy, but if there is anything to it, it's pretty cool.

Here's a link.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the coolest thing about it is that its not as messy as spray lubes[8D]

Old 06-10-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been using wd40- I spray and wipe. What is the advantage of the dry lube?

Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Is it okay to use bicycle stuff on dirtbikes? The shearing force generated by the sprocket on the chain is mega-times greater on a dirtbike than on a bicycle.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Just about anything made for motorcycle chain lubes are pretty much costly. I use Royal Purple Max-Chain for mine. About $12-18 a can vs $2-4 for WD-40. But it does what it says. It goes on liquid spray, and then evporates, leaving a wax residue behind to protect the chain. Doesn't really sling off, easy to apply, put still some mess to clean if over-sprayed.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I use the bel ray no sling lube. It goes on clean and is white in color, no sling what so ever. It is made for regular or oring chains. Superior to any other chain lube i've ever seen.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I had been using Tri-Flow, it slings off like crazy, great stuff.

I think I'm going to try some of this Finish line dry lube, made for a bicycle but should work well for a motorbike too.

Quick Reply: Chain Lube