chain clicks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011 | 02:29 AM
|
1st Gear Member
Default chain clicks

ok newb question, i have a click coming from my front sproket on my 09 klx250s. no matter the tention it only makes it loud to tighten the chain, and i checked to make sure the chain is tracking right, and the rear wheel seems to be right. seems that i started noticing it a couple weeks back after i degreased and washed the bike down, i reoiled the chain even cleaned the sprokets and chain guides with brake cleaner and reoiled again..no luck, am i missing a bearing or something?

thanks for any help or suggestions

~chris

Old 05-20-2011 | 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Does the sprocket show signs of wear - how do the teeth look?

Old 05-20-2011 | 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you refit the rear wheel with the wheel spacers on the wrong side? A come mistake. They are left and right. Chain out of alignment would make it click.

Old 05-21-2011 | 01:57 AM
|
1st Gear Member
Default update and questions

i did check the teeth and all looks good only 400 or so miles on bike. no i havent had the rear wheel off at all so no chance of mixing up spacers. i noticed on some paperwork i got with the bike that it was serviced completely back in march and the kawasaki dealer noted "the chain needs attention in near future". after reading some forum posts and some all around motorcycle sites i am going to clean and soak the chain ,the chain does show slight surface rust, so after asking a seasoned bike rider today i am going to try soaking the chain in chain oil and letting it dry and realign everything...

my question is this, if i need them where should i look for sprockets and chains? i found chains by the link and some sprockets from 12 bucks up to 60... btw this is a bone stock low miles 09 klx250s.

Old 05-21-2011 | 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Your local dealer will be able to sell you any OEM part you want. Pick up a few oil filters while you're there to save trips.

Don't assume they put it together correctly. They come in crates with the wheels off and if someone can screw it up, they will eventually. You should get your bike on a stand and figure out where that noise is coming from. Little noises have a way of becoming very bad noises very quickly - especially on dirtbikes, but I digress. Check it out, it could be serious.

Soaking your chain isn't necessary for o-ring chains. Hey don't get me wrong - it will be good for it. But, you can do the same thing by cleaning with WD40, rinse and apply this.

It's thin and gets all over every surface. I like it a lot better than the chain wax and heavier stuff. That and WD40 are the only thing that go on my chains and they look new.

Last edited by akarob; 05-21-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2011 | 02:45 AM
|
1st Gear Member

wow thats a releif thats exactly what i bought and soaked it with. i will put it up and square up everything ...thanks for the help

Old 05-21-2011 | 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Are the spacers marked R and L?

Old 05-21-2011 | 10:31 AM
1st Gear Member

A bike with only 400 miles(under normal use) should only require chain lube. I'd check the alignment again and soon. Excessive stress on your countersprocket is not good, particularly with modern long travel suspension.

Old 05-21-2011 | 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

My 09 has 4000 miles on the stock chain and I've only had to adjust it twice. But the bike is kept indoors and lubed when not in use.

Old 05-21-2011 | 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Does the chain have enough slack? Best tension is on the loose end of the allowed range.

Quick Reply: chain clicks