CDI help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Default CDI help

Hello everyone, I am having spark issues with my klx. I tested the ignition coil and pickup coil and replaced the sparkplug and still no spark. The only thing left is the cdi box, that I or the dealership cant test. So if anyone is in the pensacola area that will let me try out there cdi module to see if that is the problem I would be very grateful.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeff025
Hello everyone, I am having spark issues with my klx. I tested the ignition coil and pickup coil and replaced the sparkplug and still no spark. The only thing left is the cdi box, that I or the dealership cant test. So if anyone is in the pensacola area that will let me try out there cdi module to see if that is the problem I would be very grateful.
I'm surprised the Kawi dealer can't test it. I would be careful hooking up someone else's CDI. If there is a problem that has burned out your CDI, you don't want it to burn out another one.
Have you got a broken or cracked spark plug wire? Some times a crack you can't hardly see will allow the spark to jump to the frame or engine before getting to the plug. I have had this happen on my truck with the coil wire.
Best of luck
Dan

Old 11-06-2010, 01:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Diagnosing problems like this can be tough. It can be as simple as the ground wire for the coil, the kill switch could be defective, bad ignition switch, or many other issues. On testing your coil, did you just do a multimeter test, or did your shop use a coil tester? I've seen coils check out with a meter but completely poop out with a load. Many shops have a machine that actually makes the coil fire a spark across an adjustable gap with an internal resistance. It's a real world test of a coil. dan's concern about hooking up a good CDI unit in some cases is valid. However, if you trace the major wires around the CDI, regulator, and such, look for any evidence of overheating by noticeable discoloration or just plain melted insulation. I've only seen a new/good CDI box knocked out during a test when seriously melted/discolored wires were ignored or missed during diagnosis. Look at all connectors in the main power/ignition circuit for looseness or evidence of melting or heat.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:59 PM

I tested the coil using a multimeter, the ohms were within spec. but I still replaced everything from the coil to the sparkplug. I looked at all the wires and none are broken. I also tested the resistance of all the wires to the cdi box with a multi meter and all were within spec. So the only thing really left to do is the cdi box. The funny thing was I took it out for a days ride in the trails, no problems the whole day. Then I brought it home, rode it in the garage and it sat for about a month. Then I put a new rear tire on it, now all of the sudden I have spark issues. So I dont know what else to do besides blame the CDI unit.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Obviously the CDI unit could have breathed its last when you killed the motor that last time, but I'm wondering about your tire change...rear tire? I know the rear tire isn't connected in any way to the ignition or wiring, but is there a chance something was pinched or disconnected during the process accidentally? It's a little unusual that you had no warning up to now...ignition breaking down, etc., but not impossible. Do you have mice or rats in your garage or shop?...and chance of a chewed wire?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

As others have pointed out, there can be many other things than the CDI at fault. I will add that there is a magnetic pickup coil mounted in the flywheel case that sends trigger signals to the cdi. You can diagnose it by looking for around 220ohm between the G/W and W/Y wires going to the cdi, while it is disconnected.

The typical failure for that pickup coil is an open circuit, though a short or a partial short is not impossible. Also, when the cdi is not connected, that circuit should be isolated from body ground. If you measure below 1Mohm between one of the two wires and body ground, that means you have insulation failure on that circuit.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

How is your battery, is the voltage up to spec (12.6 OCV)? If the voltage is low you may not have enough to generate the spark in the CDI. I would check everything before replacing the CDI, it's damn expensive and as far as I know, is a black box and Kawi probably has some patent on.

Good luck,

Anthony

Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

While it's a good idea to check the battery voltage, if the engine cranks reasonably fast, it means there is enough voltage for the CDI to operate. Somebody used to the normal cranking speed would easily recognize a poor battery.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:29 AM

The battery is new and has a full charge, always on the battery tender. I tested the pickup coil resistance it was between 180-280. I am going to look at all the wires again, and then I guess I have to go and buy a new CDI and hope that works. At $340 a piece I really hope that solves this issue.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Is your kickstand switch still on the bike? Did you check that? Likely not, since it sounds like the engine turns, but if the circuit is flaky all bets are off.

Quick Reply: CDI help