Case is leaking!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Case is leaking!!!!!

I just purchased a 2000 kdx 220 and i noticed after i run it a while there was some oil dripping out of the bottom. Apon inspection i see that the case has a little crack right next to where the case bolts together, its about 1/4 inch long. It looks like the MEATHEAD before me must have smacked it w/ a hammer or was really prying on it and never fixed it before putting it back on. My Question is has anyone ever tried to clean there's up and put some kind of high temp. silicone or JB Weld on it? I really don't want to split the case so i was wondering if i can try to use something like this first? Thanks for any help i can get.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I would say JB Weld would be the best bet, BUT, if you have oil in the crack, I dont think anything would provide a good seal. Can you post a pic so the other guys can see what kind of situation you are dealing with.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Take the case off, clean it really good with acetone, and then fill the crack with solder.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

If you can get the case cleaned off well enough then I'd go the JB Weld route. My 1984 KDK had a piece of the case broken off where the oil drain plug bolted into the bottom. I cleaned area and used the JB Weld to re-form the broken piece of the case. Next, I used a tap to re-thread the new drain plug repair job. It worked beautifully, no leaks.

Use a good carb cleaner to remove the dirt and oil deposits from the area.

Can you give us some pics of the damaged area?

Mike

Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried to put an image up. not sure if its gonna work. anyway i drained the oil and i might spray it real good w/ carb. cleaner and brakleen then i might try to weld it. I am a welder fabricator for a living so i'll see what happens.

Attached Thumbnails Case is leaking!!!!!-img_0940.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is another shot of the crack. Does anyone know how this might of happened? I'm convinced the guy before me was a ****ing Monkey.

Attached Thumbnails Case is leaking!!!!!-img_0941.jpg  

Last edited by jwatts; 03-07-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwatts
I tried to put an image up. not sure if its gonna work. anyway i drained the oil and i might spray it real good w/ carb. cleaner and brakleen then i might try to weld it. I am a welder fabricator for a living so i'll see what happens.
"I am a welder fabricator for a living so i'll see what happens." And you asked us on how to fix it!?! Dude, bring out the torches and MIGs, and start welding. A TIG welder would be really nice for that kind of fix.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow, that is a Grand Canyon of a seam let alone the crack next to the bolt. That and there is alot of porosity in the main casting itself. I hate JB weld and baleing wire, so I agree with attempting to back the bolt out, cleaning, tig weld the crack, re tap/chase the threads since the heat would have distorted the original threads and retorque the bolt in. Good luck

Old 03-07-2010, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I think thats what i'm gonna do, clean it real good and tig it. I never used JB Weld so i was wondering how it worked. (it's usually a welders enemy)

Old 03-07-2010, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure i follow you,,,, are you going to weld it without disassembling?
That would be a mistake. It doesn't even appear that the cases have a gasket in between from the photo. Anyway, if you are a welder, and not a good mechanic, have someone tear it down for you and do it right.
I think someone tried to split the cases and forgot to remove this bolt, that's the only way i can see it cracking the way it did.

Quick Reply: Case is leaking!!!!!