carrying 4 gallons of water and 2 of gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Didn't have time to sort out the bike, so I did end up using 4 wheels this trip. Made it there and back trying out the new (to me) 4wd van. Worked far better than I was hoping, the thing's a tank off-road. The Maze was great and would have been very cool on the bike. By the time I got there the only snow was in the shade and on north facing slopes, though the higher areas were still inaccessible through the mud and snow. There was enough run off for easy water as well. Then went up to Moab and drove/cycled the White Rim with my wife and kids. The Shaeffer trail access was still closed because of snow but the Potash road was open. Saw lots and lots of bikes on the White Rim, mostly KTM's and KLR's with a few rare oddities. Did see one KLX in Moab. Belong to anyone on the list?

Anyway for KLX content: I did some thinking about the bike while hiking the desert. Apart from the new tyres I also added a bead lock to the back but never got around to re-balancing the wheel. After looking at Deej's load I know there is something funny going on as my bike was no where near as loaded as that. I will keep experimenting.

Anyone want to do a 3 or 4 day w/e in Moab to do the White Rim and some other trail riding before it gets too hot? I'm psyched to sort the bike and go back on 2 wheels.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

That could be the issue. Back wheel out of balance and add the extra weight and it goes wonky.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey! Glad to hear you had a fun and safe trip. I'm sure if you keep experimenting, you'll find a setup that works.