Be Careful with the Rear brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Do not use the REAR BRAKE!!

My brake peddle is not that sensitive ether. I too had a close call last weekend when I was riding on the road, there was an intersecting block and I saw this car coming up to the stop sign (I had no stop sign in my direction) and I could tell he was driving just a little too fast. I said to myself he is going to slow a bit and pull right out in front of me and sure enough he did just that!! He turned in the same direction I was going so rather than slam on the brakes I got as close as I can to the curb and got on the horn, he did not even see me until his passenger door was right next to me. There was probably 3 feet between his car and the curb and I was somewhere in between. When he finally look at me I could read his lips and he said HOLY SH_T!! then he jammed on the brakes as he swerved over. Man that was close!!! And I can tell you before he pulled out he looked right at me! I guess he was looking for a car and not a bike!!

Old 04-08-2006, 12:47 AM

I don't see the problem I lock up my rear tire sometimes just stopping at intersections for the fun of it, If you have a lead right foot just go out to a parking lot and learn how to control the skid, then your ready to do some controled super moto action YAH! And thats why I already need to replace my tire.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdunne

I don't see the problem I lock up my rear tire sometimes just stopping at intersections for the fun of it, If you have a lead right foot just go out to a parking lot and learn how to control the skid, then your ready to do some controled super moto action YAH! And thats why I already need to replace my tire.
I used to do that all the time with my 1979 Honda CB750. The rear brakes were useless and would lock up instantly. It's actually a good exercise to perform as it will teach you a lot about your brakes.
My 2002 BMW R1150R's rear locks up super easily too. It has taken me by a surprise a couple of times.
A lot of accidents are caused not when the rear skids but when the rider panics and releases the rear brake and the bike highsides.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper
A lot of accidents are caused not when the rear skids but when the rider panics and releases the rear brake and the bike highsides.
Yup thats exactlty why I didn't let go of the rear break the whole time I was skidding, I didn't want the bike to catch again while sideways and throw me over the van into traffick, ouch. Well right now here in Georgia there is freakin tornado warnings everywhere with this system moving through. Damn here in georgia I live in the worst possible place that gets hammered by tornadoes. If theres going to be a tornadoe, its gonna be in Paulding county 1st. Woops, a little off subject lol

Old 04-08-2006, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: sdunne

I'm again agreeing with sdunne here. My rear brake is grabby, but I like it that way. It still has good feel. You just need to get comfortable with the rear end sliding around. I actually recommend practicing rear wheel slides and skids with a bicycle. You should be able to slide the rear end a full 90 degrees, come to a dead stop and then start moving again without ever setting a foot on the ground. I actually need ot practice thsi type of thing more on my motorcycle, but it's second nature on a bicycle for me. I'ts mostly just balance, learn to ride really, really slow without setting a foot down and you'll be a much better rider at ALL speeds and conditions.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:12 PM

One of the "issues" with the rear brake pedal on a motorcycle is that most of us drive a 4 wheeled vehicle. Most of us have way more experience on that sort of vehicle than on the motorcycle.

When we drive that vehicle, we use our foot to bring the vehicle to a stop. Muscle memory is a hard thing to defeat once it is developed. When we get into a panic situation, our muscle memory tends to override what we think we are doing. As a result, most folks will apply too much rear brake pedal in those situations.

The only way to counter this is to practice, practice and practice more. Each motorcycle, even those of the same make and model, have different feel to the brakes on them. You really need to take a bike out and do some quick stopping to fine tune yourself for those time - and there are going to be those times when you ride - when someone makes you use that skill.

Give it a try, you'll be very glad you did the next time someone makes you use the skill.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah mines really touchy, I practise emergancy stops on any new bike I get and I locked the rear the first time. Of course I was trained to downshift as well

Old 04-09-2006, 04:36 PM

Actually I do have to adjust the break. When I put my foot on the peg my foot does not go horizontally across and sit on the brake, I actually have lift my foot up pretty high to get to the brakes, its actually uncomfortable to do from the sitting position.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

My dad and his friends ride those huge 1200cc goldwings and when i started riding they said watch the vechicles tires to see if their moving or not at intersections, stop signs, and traffic lights. Cause you cant always see the tail lights and if you see the tire start to move more then likely they will pull out infront of you.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

In a emergency stop, I wouldn't even both touching the rear brake because you'll just end up locking it up...
Yep, +1.

Quick Reply: Be Careful with the Rear brakes!!