Be careful out there

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

On in-town streets I ALWAYS ride slightly faster than traffic is moving (less time riding beside other vehicles) and find my way into a zone where there is a LOT of space around me. I also start looking left and right well BEFORE I come to a stop at a signed intersection. One doesn't have to make an INSTANT decision regarding whether or not to proceed, then. Start watching others as they approach a stop sign, and you'll see that most folks don't start looking around for opposing traffic until AFTER they've come to a halt. Ride as though you're invisible. . . . you are!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

It never ceases to amaze me how many times I've made eye contact with another driver only to have them do something that makes me realize they never truly "saw" me. Always assuming I'm invisible to others is Rule #1 in my book.

A few months ago I was riding some local trails and came up on a guy on a four wheeler. Glued to the top of his helmet was a neon purple Mohawk of sorts, spiked and sprayed like some refugee from a Mad Max movie. At the time it struck me as just an odd fashion statement, but the more I have thought about it the more I realized how useful something odd like that would stand out on the road. Oh yeah, people would remember seeing you.

Shoot, if I thought that riding in a Ronald McDonald suit would ensure my visibility I would consider it. Briefly, to be sure, but still....

Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM

I put a Red Helmet mohawk on top of my helmet simply to increase visibility. I got mine from TheHelmetMohawk.com. They are pretty cheap may be enough to stay visible out there.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Guys, just wondering. After reading all these posts, is it legal to wear one of those red battery operated blinkers for mountain bikes on your clothing. Just for added visibility. Its cheap at walmart.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Ask for forgiveness when the time comes...how would you mount it?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
Ask for forgiveness when the time comes...how would you mount it?

Clip on jacket front And back. like safety blinker lights on highway workers or joggers

Old 07-12-2012, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I stopped riding motorcycles 14 years ago because 2 guys died on bikes in a 6 week span. I rode street bikes for 10 years, had many close calls, and just hung it up. The KLX was my first step back into bikes. A few weeks after I got it another guy I work with went down on Thanksgiving weekend in the desert. He almost died and will probably never walk again. He still hasn't come back to work. That really got me thinking about my decision. Then another guy I work with just died on the 4th of July. 49 years old... in his sleep. When you're time is up, it's up. I'm riding now more than ever. There are more ways to die while not on a bike, so I'm not gonna sweat it anymore. Live to ride... ride to work.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

how about some led strips on your jacket?
NFLS & WFLS series RGB Light Strips

Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
how about some led strips on your jacket?
NFLS & WFLS series RGB Light Strips

I was thinking more of this kind. Is this legal to wear while riding? Mount in front of bike ?

Personal Safety Light :: Emergency Lighting : LED Lights : Personal Safety Lighting

Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Just had one of my riding buddies on his KTM 990 ADV got hit by a car, broke his collar bone, shoulder and shoulder blade, knee.... hes still in the hospital. His wife was on the back too... F'n Cagers.

Quick Reply: Be careful out there