Carby kit fitted (dealer letter attatched). going for a ride this w/e

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Carby kit fitted (dealer letter attatched). going for a ride this w/e

Hey all,
I just wanted to do a quick before report about fitting new jets and doing the slide mod before i go on a ride this weekend out bush.
Well what can i say, after doing some relentless searching on this forum i came across the dealer letter issued by kawasaki in relation to the 'derestriction' of the Aussie KLX250. This was right up my alley the the bike lacked a little something after fitting the megacycle rear pipe. So, off to my local dealer and i ordered all the parts as described on the letter. It totalled about $80AUD for everything on that sheet. Then i went down to the local auto shop and bought some metal epoxy to block off the two slide holes at the top of the slide.

Time came to pull the bike apart in which after having a KX 250 i didn't find too hard at all. i removed the carby and fitted all the little bits and pieces, filled the two holes in the slide and slapped her back together.

Whilst this was apart it was a good time to do the valve clearances as the bike was due for them. The two intake valves had to be re adjusted. Even that was pretty simple keeping in mind i had the workshop manual on hand (which i found here, thanks guys ).

Now, time to start the bike. It started almost instantly given the fact it needed to get the fuel through the carby. I almost instantly noticed a better response as before it would flat spot as you revved it a little just above idle. Now it sounds alot better and not so 'tinny' so to speak.

The excitement got to me and i had to take it for a quick squirt around the block of units i live in (much to the neighbours disgust) and with a 13T front sprocket i can say it's alot more responsive from down low which is what i primarily want (yet to be confirmed on hillclimbs).

I'm off for a ride this w/e over Easter so i'll report back on how it went next week

So, for all you Aussies out there that are about to get the stimulus bonus in the mail i can say go out and do the carby mod, your missus might not love you for it but your bike will

Attached Thumbnails Carby kit fitted (dealer letter attatched). going for a ride this w/e-aussie%2520carb%2520derestriction%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

oh i forgot to ask, with the 138 main jet is it possible to remove the airbox lid without it leaning out???

Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

more air in means your changing the mix so yes it will lean it out some.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I guess the answer is no you can't remove the lid without leaning it out. The correct question was will it lean it out too much? You'll have to figure that out on your own. Every bike is a bit different as far as what other mod's you have and elevation so what works for one bike won't necessarily work on your bike. Try it you wont hurt anything by going out for a test ride to see how it works.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm running the #138 main jet and a #38 pilot. TwinAir filter and no airbox lid . If you read the service info' doc' you posted it says to remove the snorkel and the lid altogether. If anything she'll run a tad rich if you're running the stock pipe.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

silly me. guess i was too excited to get it going

Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi again. Sorry about the late reply, had a little 'off' on the weekend and did some damage to my ribs lol.
Well here's the verdict.... Holy cr*p bags Robin
The difference it made was a substantial increase over just stock jetting with a slip on pipe. The bike now has trouble getting traction under full throttle from 1st throught to third. So much so, that a mate in a 04 CRF 230 didn't have a chance in a straight line against me.

It took a little getting used to the bike being a bit more loose now which in the long run should be a good thing for seeing the way it behaves going up rutty hills. It has given it a little more torque to pull up the hills in low rpm but from 4k rpm onwards it gets up and goes.

So all in all it's a highly recommended mod for all you guys and gals out there considering what to do with some spare change.