Carborator options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilapples
Thanks for that. ill send you a PM.
If this pans out, please report your findings and results.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi guys just an update.......

I bought the TM36 from Back Trailin and it arrived today. I don’t really have the time this week to install it but whenever get a new toy I have to have a play.

I washed down the bike (was still a bit grubby from the weekends ride), removed the CVK carb and dry fitted the TM36. Wow its completely true what everyone say's.... fitted perfectly and i feel it was easier to get in than the CVK. The only thing that I noticed was that the rubber boot on the intake (engine side) was a little loose around the carb, but a decent hose clamp should seal this up nicely if it leaks ill have to add something to enlarge the carb (maybe some plumbers tape or something). Also love the way the accelerator pump works.

Jim was kind enough to jet it to what he feels will be right (I have pretty much the same mods and elevation as he did, its just a little bit more humid etc here). Al I need is some new hose clamps (the originals are a little worse for wear from taking the CVK in and out) and ill start the proper install.

I’m pretty confident that this carb will be ok on the stock bore with the mods I have (twin air filter, backfire deleted, lid removed, FMF power bomb and Q2 exhaust), but if it isn’t then ill just have to save a little faster for the 351cc kit.

Will try and post pics and things as I go.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the update. I look foward to hearing more.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

ok so I got the carb in this week and have had a little play..........

WOW what a difference to the throttle response, got a little shock when i drove out of the garage for the first time because the bike shot forward with-out delay.

I think i need to play with the jetting a little but i haven’t had a real good test ride yet.

Current jetting (I am pretty close to sea level)

Pilot Jet............ 12.5
Needle Jet......... P-6
Jet needle......... 9DZH6-50 2nd position from the bottom
Main jet............ 127.5

Screw is out at about 2.25 turns (engine flutters at about 1 turn out and then at around 4.5 turns out). way easier to adjust the fuel screw on this carb.

I tried the smaller starter but couldn’t get the engine speed to change when winding out so went with the 12.5 (I hope I got this around the right way)

Backtrailin had already set the A/P to start at about 1/8th throttle and it stops at about 3/4 throttle and jet splashes off the needle. Also supplied in stalled was the P-6 jet needle and 9Dzh6-50 needle. I didn’t actually change anything to what was already installed for the midrange circuit and it feels good but I haven’t really had a decent ride to compare.

I tried the 125 main jet and the swapped to the 127.5 as a comparison. The 127.5 seems to pull better so I think that its correct.

I pulled the plug to have a look and to was a nice brown colour although this doesn’t mean much as i didn’t do a proper chop.

I’ve got to have a play with the choke circuit because it idles hi and then drops low and vice verser when warming up but I’ve probably just done something wrong.

Acceleration over all feels faster and i cant get enough of the snappy throttle response. Ill try and go for a better ride over the weekend so I can get a more accurate feel for it.

Sorry but i got carried away and forgot to take photos but I am sure ill have it out again in the next couple of days and ill try and post them.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Also forgot to mention that the front wheel will now lift a little using just throttle…… doest lift very high.... but still lifts.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilapples
I’ve got to have a play with the choke circuit because it idles hi and then drops low and vice verser when warming up but I’ve probably just done something wrong.
On a cold start with the choke on, my bike will run at a fast idle for 20-30 seconds, depending on the temperature. Then the RPMs will drop to the point that it will almost stall. Once the RPMs drop, I just push the choke in and it's ready to go. That's my normal choke routine, but most of the time I don't need the choke.

I can't get my idle to drop from richening up the fuel screw either - even 6 turns out. Neither can a few other guys I know of with TM36's - that's just the way these carbs are. Basically, set the fuel screw so that the engine isn't backfiring on deceleration, and you're good.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah the throttle response surprised me too when I first hopped on! Feels like my fuel-injected Husky. Good to hear it's working out so far. You will see a big difference in the trails. I do recall it idling strange with the choke, but I hardly ever used the choke. What I remember was waiting until the RPM dropped a bit the pushing the choke back in.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome report. TM 36 pumper is my next purchase for this bike.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Now that's some good info! Thanks for posting! Did the cable bracket clear the frame or did you need to chop and weld like with the TM33? The TM33 was a lot of friggin work, man. I had to turn up an adapter for each end and chop the cable bracket up and try about 4 different ways before I got it to work. I gave up twice. It's about done and it's a huge improvement but this TM36 sounds like a better way to fly, to be honest.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

No I didn’t have to modify any thing. Just removed the CVK and the TM36 slotted straight in. Its easier to put in and pull out than the CVK carb.

I’ve got the stock tank and the throttle bracket clears easy. I had to tilt the carb slightly so the main jet cover clears the starter but that’s no biggie. Also cant use the push/pull cable as it doesn’t fit. Again no big deal, the main spring is plenty string enough.

I did get some cable binding once I bolted the tank down but found that the fuel line clamp was hitting the throttle (I replaced the old clamps with some proper clamps when I replaced the fuel lines a while ago and it was fouling on the screw). Simply rotated the hoes clamp and all was good.

I am currently running the throttle cable down the standard side, over the wiring loom and onto the throttle bracket but I think I will look at re-routing the throttle cable under the wiring loom for a few mm more length, at full left steering the cable gets a little tight, but its not a big problem.

Quick Reply: Carborator options?