Carbon Fiber Rad Shrouds for the klx...Good Idea or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Carbon Fiber Rad Shrouds for the klx...Good Idea or Bad

Whew.... I just finished glassing an engine cowling for a bud's Yammi outboard and I was looking at the klx...... would a carbon fiber radiator shroud be a bad thing....it would look way cool I think.

Mine are getting way faded, and the d-tracker blacks (the color I want) and the stock klxer's are thru the roof in price.

It'd be easy an cheapto make a quick plug of the shroud and an epoxy carbon fiber shroud should only be $20 in materials ......any downsides to a carbon shroud?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Rad Shrouds for the klx...Good Idea or Bad

I think it would crack/break the first time it hit the ground or anything else hard. For a supermoto I would say go for it but for an offroad bike I am not so sure.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

no down side that i can see. they'll probably break just as easy but who cares for that amount your ahead of the game. could you give me a tutorial on how to do it?? i need a right side and just can't pull the trigger for $84 plus shipping.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I was thinking that too 2k1w..... the plastic can take a lot morebend in animpact w/o breaking.....sugar sand is soft but not that soft......my left shroud is all F'd up too from a high speed sugar biff.

Ok, I'll try my heat gun on the left shroud to get it to look like stock.....got to anyway if I make a plug.... any other opines..... I'm thinkin thin and bendy vs thickerand stronger

Old 03-29-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331
just can't pull the trigger for $84 plus shipping.
I hear ya on that..and that does not include the stickers which are like $50 or so I think.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Might look better without stickers. Something to think about.

I f'd up my left shroud in my race a few weeks ago and was thinking of replacing it. Even though the KTM plastics are a lot cheaper, the sticker is still seperate. It'd be cheaper to just buy both left and right shrouds without graphics than to buy one shroud with graphics. How would that look? I'm thinking it would look pretty good - plain and simple.

My shroud is still functional, though, it's just cracked and bent a little. So I may just leave it. There's another race next weekend and I might do that one too. If so, could be I replace the shroud just to bust it up again. Hare scrambles as a fun hobby could get expensive if you're not willing to live with a few scuffs and cracks here and there.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm just posting to myself so I can check it later ... lol ... crackberry posting.

After a close inspection of the plastic shrouds, the tips of the rad shrouds up to the mounts on the radiator and frame is the key break point line which needs to be extra flexible .... hmm a total of 6 oz biax in three 2 oz layers should do.....with the rest at 12 oz in two 6 oz layers withoverlap meshing at the breakline.

It wouldn't matter if the tips of the shrouds were a lot softer and bent easier than the stockers would it? With only 6 oz they may flap a little at hight speed (60+)

Anyone got a pic of a shroud that broke?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

90% of mine is gone. all i have left is two small pieces at the rear by the seat and tank. i doubt it would help.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I think that if you order oem shrouds they come with the graphics. Not that it is worth $84 with or without them.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

90% of mine is gone. all i have left is two small pieces at the rear by the seat and tank. i doubt it would help.
Who cares about the shroud....I'm done fixin bateau's for the night .... havin a black n tan ....got a pic of the crash

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Rad Shrouds for the klx...Good Idea or Bad