Carb rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

So you pay for a pilot jet that may not be right, a non-adjustable needle, and other parts you probably don't need that someone got from Kiehin and packaged up. Buy what you need and make sure you need it. If you haven't cleaned the carb yet you have no idea if you need a new needle or not, it may just be set too high. Not unusual. I had a Suzuki that would run out two gallons of gas in a half hour... most out the overflow tube, but I never saw it because I turned off the gas when I shut the bike off. My friend saw it when I was starting up one day. Change float level, no gas leak and all day on two gallons.

Take the carb apart, find what's in there, see what jetting others have done, and make sure you need what you buy. Otherwise you're wasting money on stuff you don't need. One reason most manufacturers don't make rebuild kits. In the 20+ years I worked in a dealership they didn't use rebuild kits, they just ordered what was needed, although most mains and pilots were stock items. Like eight screws you don't need, probably JIS phillips type screws, might be worth it if they were allen head. You won't find all that extra stuff in a Dyno Jet kit.

Find what you need then get it or get a lot of bits you don't need. Your choice.

Last edited by klx678; 03-20-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll second klx678... most of those kit parts will end up in the trash. Bowl gasket and float needle are the only parts I think I would find useful.

Don't worry too much about finding a "kit"... piece it together, plenty of advice and the parts you need here on the forum.

Best of luck.. it's a fun process once you start to understand the KLX quirks and get zeroed in on what works best...

Edit: I've rebuilt a carb or two with the kits like you posted. My '09 hasn't needed it yet, but i wouldn't mind having some of the gaskets in my parts box.

Last edited by Abramsgunner; 03-20-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Abramsgunner
I'll second klx678... most of those kit parts will end up in the trash. Bowl gasket and float needle are the only parts I think I would find useful.

Don't worry too much about finding a "kit"... piece it together, plenty of advice and the parts you need here on the forum.

Best of luck.. it's a fun process once you start to understand the KLX quirks and get zeroed in on what works best...

Edit: I've rebuilt a carb or two with the kits like you posted. My '09 hasn't needed it yet, but i wouldn't mind having some of the gaskets in my parts box.
I will research and piece one together, waiting for my soda blaster to get here before I opened up the carb to see what I need. This will take a few months before it’s run again.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Jets R Us mikuni, keihin, hitachi, holley, jets and carb parts will have anything you'll need parts wise.