Carb rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Carb rebuild

Need to rebuild the carb and jet it for the 299cc big bore kit, is there one kit out there that does both or will. Need to buy two kits, a rebuild and a jet kit? Thxs!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 PM

I am in the same position, need to rebuild and jet, but without the 299. The answer should be to buy a klx300 rebuild kit. Ive seen posts suggesting buying oem 300 parts instead of the DJ kit to save money. Someone with actual experience might answer though...

Old 03-19-2019, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

You 3 guys with carb questions.... what is a 'rebuild' kit. Never had one for the KLX.
If you want help with jetting, you need to provide info.... mods, pipe, carb, intake, riding elevation, etc. Without this info, any comments or thinking about comments is useless.

Why would u need to rejet for a 300? I don't know.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, if you don’t know what a carb rebuild kit is I can’t help you. Since this is a 2009 bike and I am rebuilding the entire thing the carb will get new parts as well, like the float seat and gaskets, springs, ect.. My 250S will use more fuel when I add 50cc of displacement, there fore I will have to re-jet the carb for the mods. This is basic stuff.....

Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I never rebuild mine, ever.
I think your bike will use more air too. I imagine if it was running ok, there is no need to change the fuel air mixture, pretty basic stuff.
... and you still didn't add any info, I'm done here.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Dynojet kit 2206 was made for the 300 before the current iteration (2006+) of KLX250 dynojet kits were available. I put the 2206 in my KLX with the stock bore, then with the 351 kit. It comes with an adjustable needle (this is the most expensive and valuable component of the kit), a few main jet (which per klxster are probably not large enough), and some other pieces and parts. This kit calls for drilling the slider, which klxster will advise against.

Or you can go all kaw parts. The N1TC adjustable needle has been mentioned here before.

Bill Blue recommended going up 2 main jet sizes and 1 pilot size for the 351 kit. I found the pilot was best as stock, but I tend to ride higher elevations. Low elevation riders often go to 38 or 40 pilot jet size.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Livnpaintball2
Wow, if you don’t know what a carb rebuild kit is I can’t help you. Since this is a 2009 bike and I am rebuilding the entire thing the carb will get new parts as well, like the float seat and gaskets, springs, ect.. My 250S will use more fuel when I add 50cc of displacement, there fore I will have to re-jet the carb for the mods. This is basic stuff.....
If you don't know that you don't need a rebuild kit I can't help you... well, really I can. Motorcycle carbs for the past couple decades have O-rings, gaskets and such that ,manufacturers don't do rebuild kits anymore. You buy the parts and jets you need and install them. I don't know why you think you need a new float needle set up, I have a KLX650 with 50,000 miles on it and haven't had anything need replacement. Do a search on carb jetting for the KLX300 or see what people here recommend. My brother did that when he bought his KLX and the information worked well, we used the information to jet mine too. Hang on and someone will let you know or you can get the Dyno Jet kit.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
If you don't know that you don't need a rebuild kit I can't help you... well, really I can. Motorcycle carbs for the past couple decades have O-rings, gaskets and such that ,manufacturers don't do rebuild kits anymore. You buy the parts and jets you need and install them. I don't know why you think you need a new float needle set up, I have a KLX650 with 50,000 miles on it and haven't had anything need replacement. Do a search on carb jetting for the KLX300 or see what people here recommend. My brother did that when he bought his KLX and the information worked well, we used the information to jet mine too. Hang on and someone will let you know or you can get the Dyno Jet kit.
because it leaks gas on the ground, that is why it’s getting new parts.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Dynojet kit 2206 was made for the 300 before the current iteration (2006+) of KLX250 dynojet kits were available. I put the 2206 in my KLX with the stock bore, then with the 351 kit. It comes with an adjustable needle (this is the most expensive and valuable component of the kit), a few main jet (which per klxster are probably not large enough), and some other pieces and parts. This kit calls for drilling the slider, which klxster will advise against.

Or you can go all kaw parts. The N1TC adjustable needle has been mentioned here before.

Bill Blue recommended going up 2 main jet sizes and 1 pilot size for the 351 kit. I found the pilot was best as stock, but I tend to ride higher elevations. Low elevation riders often go to 38 or 40 pilot jet size.
Thxs IDRIDR, I will take a look at that kit and compare with Kawasaki prices on jets and needles.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is a rebuild kit.

Quick Reply: Carb rebuild