carb mods done- still not perfect ?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: carb mods done- still not perfect ?????

To adjust the throttle slack, move the bars around to find where its the tightest, for me its full lock right. I say to do this as when I had adjusted it with the bars straight the throttle would stick around 2500 when I turned the bars to the right. Take and screw the adjuster on the bars all the way into the throttle pull body. Loosen the top nut, not the throttle sleeve but the nut on it just enough that you can get the lower one to clear the tang on the carb. Keep moving the two nuts down until you get around 2-3 mm of play at the tightest position. I have more than that at center but not alot. Once that is set, tighten them up and check for free throttle action, you may have to adjust the decelerator cable somewhat. Its a bit harder to get to but is the same procedure except there is no adjustment on the throttle pull body. From there you can fine tune it with the top set of adjustments on the bars.

I forget which post it is, but I think it was by bmwhd that described what each jet does as far as where it works in the rpm range, you may just have a funky combination. Just for kicks throw the snorkel back on and take another ride and see where that gets you. If it gets worse you might be too rich.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:40 PM

I performed all the same mods with the exception of the #128 main jet-I used the 125, and I also used a KDX snorkel, and I'm running the Muzzy. I've had absolutely no runability issues, but I also felt the bike didn't have the power that I was expecting it too have. The other day I put on a UNI air filter, and that made the bike come alive! It made a huge difference in power all around, but especially on top end. I've used aftermarket air filters on all my bikes/quads and never really noticed any power difference, so I really wasn't expecting any this time either. I guess that is what the bike needed to make it happy.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:46 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The clip on the needle controls it's depth. Remember that plastic hole the tip is suspended over / in? That's where the fuel passes and the needle allows more in when its raised and cuts off the supply when it is lowered. The lower the needle's starting position, the less fuel gets delivered across the range. So putting the clip on the second ring instead of the third makes the needle sit a little lower, and restricts the fuel a little more so the bike runs a little leaner. You were probably running a bit rich. As konacoiler mentioned, a differerent filter can also help that by allowing more air in. This is that "total system" thing I've mentioned - changing one thing can throw others out of balance. Tuning this stuff to perfection is nothing short of black magic.

BTW, I've got the 300cc kit installed and it fired up on the first crank. I've performed one heat cycle of break-in so far. I've got a few more to go before I start really feeling it out for what it can do.