Carb is leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

This bike is a new '09 that I picked up only 2 weeks ago. Presumably it had been sitting on the dealers floor for a good year or more. Anything else I should worry about with a bike sitting that long? It only had 6 miles on the odometer when I got it.

Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CraigM
This bike is a new '09 that I picked up only 2 weeks ago. Presumably it had been sitting on the dealers floor for a good year or more. Anything else I should worry about with a bike sitting that long? It only had 6 miles on the odometer when I got it.

Thanks again!
Me personally, I would not do anything to the bike except take it back to the dealer. I'm all for working on my own bikes but if you just bought it, it should be under warranty. Let the dealer correct their wrong and return it to how it should be.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CraigM

Thanks again!
In that case you probably have the gummed up needle and seat and/or the float pivot pin gummed up. It sounds like the pilot jet isn't plugged if you've been getting it to idle. If that's all it might be, you could possibly get by with some carb cleaner poured into the carb and letting it sit overnight.

I've done this with my KLR650's in the past that sat for too long. Pull the fuel line off the petcock. Drain the fuel float bowl at that nipple and drain screw...get a hose on that nipple. Now get some Chemtool B12 or other carb cleaner than you can spray or pour into the carb's fuel line until it fills up into the top of the fuel line. Crack open the drain screw just a little to insure that some cleaner is coming out that drain screw. Close that drain screw again and fill up that fuel line hose again all the way to the top. Let it sit. Before restarting, drain that cleaner from the fuel float bowl drain screw and reconnect the fuel line. Turn on the fuel petcock and see how it goes. You might get lucky.