Carb collaboration please....=)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:27 AM
Default Carb collaboration please....=)

OK, maybe I am answering my own question here, but its been awhile since I messed with carbs.

2012 KLX250s: Has stock carb/sat too long/got gummed up. Its a bike my Dad picked up a few years ago and ended up never using it. However he would start it once a month or so, until one time it didn't cooperate. We took the plastics off and tinkered with it a little bit and never got it to go. Nothing really lost because as I said, he never uses it...haha Fast Forward a couple years...I see it under his back Deck all taken apart under a cover. I decided to bring it to my place and get it going for him so he can sell it and be done with it.

What I've done: Took Carb off and dunked it in the Pinesol/Water combo over night "No plastic bits in the dip". Popped the pilot and failed to pop the Main Jet...Grrrrrrr.....As I said, its been awhile. Douched it out and cleaned up the needle and all other hard parts. Blew through the ports and the Needle pump cycles good. Everything seemed clear.

Put the carb back together and installed it. Got it to pop and idle "Full Choke" but as soon as I wick the Throttle or try to close the choke it dies. Only runs through the idle/choke port. Also I am pissing fuel through the bowl overflow "Was careful to put float back as it was". Only pisses when it is running. I can leave the fuel on and it does not **** at all.

So....I am guessing I need to take the carb out and clean up the Main Jet....hahaha.

A Video because otherwise it didn't happen right?.....hahaha

Facebook Post

Old 05-22-2019, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Pilot circuit has crud down inside where you can't get it. When the "choke" is taken off (actually an enrichener circuit) the bike has to run off the pilot circuit. If it is clogged the bike won't run.

Take the carb, torn down, to a motorcycle or auto shop that has a carb washer or ultrasonic cleaner. They can get the cleaner into the passages and break up the crud to clean it out. Usually works first time. Had lots of experience with this back in the dealership. If bikes sat a long time, like over a winter with the gas in the carb drying out, this would happen. The fresh gas works the dried residue into a goo that will clog the pilot circuit. Also look through the pilot jet to make sure it is clear too, although I'm betting you already did that.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Agreed. Use the part schematic to help you see what and how the carb comes apart. Pull the main jet and emulsion tube as well as the pilot. I'd just replace the pilot rather than trying to clean it.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 05-22-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 PM

Thanks guys! I took the carb apart again and I see that there is more junk. As suggested I took the main body of the carb to a local shop and they are putting it on their machine. New Main and Pilot jets (#38 & 125) and will shim the needle as that mod page shows. We are also at approx 2K-2400' above sea level.

Appreciate the IPD boss, Thanks!

Old 05-29-2019, 05:00 PM

So to post a follow up on my results.

As suggested I removed the carb and disassembled again and took it to a shop to have them use their machine to clean it. This only cost me $10, so I could have saved me alot of time if I had done this to start with.

Changed the jets: Pilot 125 / Main 38 just as suggested on the carb mod page I was forwarded to. I left the choke port alone and I did not shim the needle or mod the Needle diafram.

Bike now starts very easy and runs great!

Thanks for the help guys!!!

VR,

Brad