Cant seem to catch a break lately...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Cant seem to catch a break lately...

On my way back to work after lunch last week my klx250sf slid out on some loose gravel on a turn. I bent the clutch and shift lever back that day, but I had to wait until this sunday to realign front forks.

I got it all fixed and was happy the bike suffered no costly damage until I tried to lock my bars...

Somehow hitting the ground at 25-30 mph made the lock on my bike longer work! How the heck does that happen!?!? Im honestly baffled as to how the pin suddenly wont engage in the frame simply because the bike fell.

Anyone else have this problem? Im sure you klx250s guys must abuse your bike more than one little fall? Did this happen to you?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I have never even tried to use my lock, not sure if it works or not. Same with the helmet lock.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ive taken my helmet lock off, and i also have never tried to lock the ignition. I figure its light enough that a couple of guys could pick it up and put it into a truck so whats the sense of locking it?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

You may have bent the left steering lock tab past the point where the key lock engages. Try rotating the handlebars as you attempt to engage the key lock to see if you can find the indexed point.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
You may have bent the left steering lock tab past the point where the key lock engages. Try rotating the handlebars as you attempt to engage the key lock to see if you can find the indexed point.
Yep, this is what I was thinking. My '06 doesn't key lock at the fully stopped location. I have to wiggle the bar back just a bit to get the steering head pin to engage.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I use the steering lock all the time. The bike could be lifted but it won't be, it will be rolled into a pickup. Picking up and moving a 300+lb bike with the steering locked is like grabbing a really fat chick and draggin her up a flight of stairs after she passes out. Not worth it.

I have crashed so hard that the top of the triple clamp dented the metal gas tank but the steering lock still works great.

Used to use the helmet lock but it now fails to latch so it is not used. May as well take it off.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Used to use the helmet lock but it now fails to latch so it is not used. May as well take it off.
HB, take it off and grease it up. Some how they get dirt in them.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

... is like grabbing a really fat chick and draggin her up a flight of stairs after she passes out. Not worth it.

Are you speaking from experience?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I use the steering lock. No reason to make it any easier for a theif. Even if they do pick it up, they still need to deal with the lock later. The helmet lock on mine stopped latching. It just needed to be cleaned out and lubed with a dry lube... Like the Dupont chain saver stuff.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Picking up and moving a 300+lb bike with the steering locked is like grabbing a really fat chick and draggin her up a flight of stairs after she passes out. Not worth it
No need for the misogyny man. Women are finally getting into this sport and it's good for all of us. I have met just as many women on KLXs this season as I have men. We don't need to discourage them by perpetuating an outdated culture around bikes...

Quick Reply: Cant seem to catch a break lately...