can someone help me with my sag???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: can someone help me with my sag???

ok thanks, i think i got it figured out now... i need 4 inches of sag for the recomended 103mm. right now i've only got 3.25 (after i just went out and moved the rings down alittle bit.) so if i go down some more i should be right there, the bikes puttin me on my toes now. lol gotta get used to this, hopefully its a noticable diffrence in the way it rides off the road.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

ok thanks, i think i got it figured out now... i need 4 inches of sag for the recomended 103mm. right now i've only got 3.25 (after i just went out and moved the rings down alittle bit.) so if i go down some more i should be right there, the bikes puttin me on my toes now. lol gotta get used to this, hopefully its a noticable diffrence in the way it rides off the road.
We set ours on both bikes to the recommended 4" (well 3 15/16" for the DRZ) and this should be easily obtainable if your spring and weight match. On my wifes KLX the stock spring was fine for her weight and it dialed right in. On my DRZ my spring was too weak and I had to order the correct one to get it right. Also, they have a method called "stiction" where when you put your weight on the bike you should have someone slightly lift the rear of the bike by the fender or cargo rack and gently let it down for the most accurate measurement.
db

Old 04-02-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Inches to CM conversion is quick and easy, multiply inches by 2.54 to get CM then take that by 10 to get MM. Or go straight there using 25.4 for the conversion. And you want to move the rings UP the shaft to reduce preload to increase your sag. When you spin them down you are preloading the spring, ie compressing it and springs work on a rate of X lbs per inch of compression. So when you spin the rings down and shorten the spring its putting more force on the shock, and it requires more force (body weight) to compress the spring further. So if you are at 3.25" now and want 4", move the rings up the shock body.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

cool, got it all set up and went for a rip in the woods.... i can say that i definetly do feel a big diffrence in traction. where before i would either bump over stuff when going fast now it kinda absorbs it but puts the wheel right back down to the ground faster and i've got more traction. or it feels that way at least.... not really sure if it helped me any on the road or antying, but it defiently feels way better in the woods, thats for sure.
Thanks dave for the oodles of info, helped me out a bunch. and anyone else that commented. thanks

Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

cool, got it all set up and went for a rip in the woods.... i can say that i definetly do feel a big diffrence in traction. where before i would either bump over stuff when going fast now it kinda absorbs it but puts the wheel right back down to the ground faster and i've got more traction. or it feels that way at least.... not really sure if it helped me any on the road or antying, but it defiently feels way better in the woods, thats for sure.
Thanks dave for the oodles of info, helped me out a bunch. and anyone else that commented. thanks
You are quite welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.
db