Can I use a DR Auto Clutch for KX450 on a KLX250?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Default Can I use a DR Auto Clutch for KX450 on a KLX250?

I just bought a 2007 KLX250. I've been looking for an affordable dual-purpose bike for a couple of years so I'm really pleased to have found it and can get both feet on the ground when it's stopped. It's in the shop right now because it sat with gas in it for about 3 years without being driven, and with 1300 miles on it it was due for a service anyway.

Around the same time I put the 250 in the shop, I found an ad on Craigslist for some parts for a 2007 KX450F. Checking parts microfiches made me think many of the parts were identical, so I bought them. $300 for 2 new front fenders, 2 hand guards, 2 number plates, both sides of the radiator shroud, a gripper seat cover, air filter, oil filter, a rear fender (offroad), etc, and a new Dyna Ring Auto Clutch. I never heard of them and when I looked them up they sounded kind of sissy. But then I saw a Youtube video on them and I thought about it for a little while and reached the following conclusion......I am old enough to be a sissy and no one will sass me for it. I miss riding through the woods but I got pretty banged up in an explosion in Iraq, so an auto clutch might be just what I need to try it again.

My question is: Will this clutch fit on the KLX250, and if not, what can be done to make it work? It looks like both the 250 & 450 stock clutches are made of some of the same parts. Looking at the parts diagrams, the 450 uses 4 each of both the clutch plates and frictions plates. The 250 uses 3 of each.

Thanks much,
Annie

Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

might have to change to a 450 basket, does that company already make a version for use that you could compare it to or even trade it for?

I think I remember someone putting a Rekluse on..........

Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Annie Oakley
<snip> Looking at the parts diagrams, the 450 uses 4 each of both the clutch plates and frictions plates. The 250 uses 3 of each.

Thanks much,
Annie
I believe mine has 7 friction plates and 6 steel plates....but that doesn't do much to answer your question.

Name:  IMG_9402.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  63.3 KB

Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I miss riding through the woods but I got pretty banged up in an explosion in Iraq
If you were in the military, thank you for your service to this country.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Am I the only one that think that it's odd that someone created an account named Annie Oakley (Google her if you don't know who she is) and then has 1 post and hasn't said anything else. Looks like someone is afraid of looking too much like a girl on their real account for asking if they can install an auto clutch on their Klx :P

If my assumptions are incorrect, thank you very much for your service to this country. I hope you enjoy your Klx in whatever means possible.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

The clutches are completely different in their design. I seriously doubt that it will work, but you could always contact the folks at Dyna Ring and ask them.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I'll be gettin' me a EFM AUto Clutch.........this thing already climbs like a goat!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

... and a new Dyna Ring Auto Clutch. ..

My question is: Will this clutch fit on the KLX250, and if not, what can be done to make it work? It looks like both the 250 & 450 stock clutches are made of some of the same parts. Looking at the parts diagrams, the 450 uses 4 each of both the clutch plates and frictions plates. The 250 uses 3 of each.
Hey mate

I am very interested to know the answer to this questions. Seeing as you're going to be getting the Dynaring anyway I guess there is no harm in trying to fit it - especially if your reserarch tells you the rest of the clutch parts are the same.

I reckon you'll be doing everyone on the forum a favour by testing the clutch yourself. I can tell you now that if you manage to fit it without much problem I will be sourcing myself one of these bad boys! The EFM option is interesting but my main issue with it is that I have to take my whole clutch off my bike and post it half way around the world to get made into an auto clutch - I use my bike every day and cannot afford to be without it for that long.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Arctra your mod list is impressive! A Bill Blue big bore would round out that package pretty nice.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw a KLX250s with an autoclutch. So they DO exist. The cover had to change though. Sorry I do not know who made it.

Quick Reply: Can I use a DR Auto Clutch for KX450 on a KLX250?