Can Evo X sound be tuned down a bit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Can Evo X sound be tuned down a bit?

I really would like to use the BG Evo X system that came with my 06 but it is waaay too loud for my taste. Especially on the highway. The OEM muffler is simply too quiet. Something in between would be nice. I was just reading about the Two Brothers P4 Power Tips but can't find any info regarding fitment on Big Gun pipes. Probably won't work but worth asking. What other ways can a muffler be made quieter?

Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yours still has the race core in it huh?? You can buy the quiet core...
race on left quiet on rt...
Name:  QUIETCORE001.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  106.6 KB

Name:  QUIETCORE002.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  74.3 KB

but be warned, the quiet core isnt too quiet..... so what i did recently was take the vortex insert that came with my pipe and cut it down so it fits in with the quiet core it so its alot more quiet.... Were u using the vortex insert ?

Old 11-15-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

What's a vortex insert? I haven't opened it to find whats inside. I put it back on this morning and took it for a spin. Damn loud. It's do-able below 4000 rpm but once past that point it gets extremely annoying. It's definitely race level sound.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

As for the quiet core, does it take a 15" or 17"? I see both on the biggun site.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

15"

The vortex insert is a piece that fits in the endcap of the muffler and there are 3 small tubes welded together and to a plate so it restricts the flow and sound level... ill get some pics of mine i cut down to fit in... go on big guns site there is a pic of it on there.... if you look through the spark arrestor screen you can see the 3 smaller tubes... if you cant see 3 smaller tubes and all you see is the whole 2" pipe open thats why its loud..... lol..... the come with vortex inserts when you buy the exhaust, sounds like u bought ur bike used.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

And it finally sounds the way it should. Found the Vortex insert on Ebay. Paid $15 + shipping. It arrived yesterday and was installed 10 minutes after I got home. Ok, more like 30 minutes 'cause I installed wrong on my first attempt. Anyhow, got it in the correct way and it sounds Awesome!!!

It's a little quieter then I expected but that may also be due to my home made baffle I made this past weekend. I'll probably take my junk baffle out tonight and just run the vortex from now on. All in all I'm very happy with the lowered decibels.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

right on man...... also repacking it will make the db's come down.... i dont know how many miles have been run through urs.... i usually repack mine every winter. done it 2 times so far.

Be careful, i have had the endcap screws (the ones you have to take out to put the vortex insert in) vibrate out, that made me mess up the whole endcap, and had to buy a new spark arrestor too... i bought a bag of those screws from fastenal and keep a couple on the bike now.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

or you could use locktite

Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

you need special locktite, high temperature and non permanent ...loctite# 294...hard to come by, and expensive... i just check mine often, havent had trouble in a while.... not all locktite is the same, and colors dont mean anything either..... ya have to look at the details.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

The packing in my X still looks ok. I'm at 5200 miles now. I got the bike used, you were right, in October. At that time it had 2900 miles. I've gone over everything a couple of times and have rebuilt both wheels and replaced the rubber with K761's. Great bike but that pipe was really getting annoying. This Vortex insert did the trick. Not too loud, not too quiet... Juuuuuust right.

Haven't had any problems with the screws yet. I tend to over-torque everything and ended up snapping the little bolts that hold the front axle cap last month. Cheap replacements from ACE did the trick. It's amazing how much money you can save by buying nuts and bolts from a hardware store instead of high priced OEM stuff.

Quick Reply: Can Evo X sound be tuned down a bit?