Can anyone tell me if my compression releaser is broke?! (video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

The bike was running for about 1000 miles with the 351 kit. I know the piston is in correct. I only pulled the head to change the head gasket due to wrong sealant being used.

Neil - I will definitely be pulling the head. Already drained the (new) fluids

I'm not touching the thing till Monday. I'm going to take a nice relaxing weekend, go fishing, and forget I even own a motorcycle.

But yeah, I'll be pulling early Monday and ordering whatever I need I guess. I guess at $25/valve it's better than a $150 cam. Just hoping for no piston damage. And I'll be pulling the side case as well.. Which I just did a few weeks ago anyways for a leaking water pump seal.

If it aint one thang, it's a ***** effin 'notha.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your bad azz luck!

Give John a call at cycle pro he did a great job with my valves, you are from NJ right?

He has some new SS valves if interested? I think he has my stock intake and exhaust valves yet, they were still good, your welcome to them if you want?

I did the same thing with a bolt when I was changing out my cylinders and pistons on my v-twin, darn thing fell right in the case. Luckily I was able to remove the water pump drive and get behind that with a magnet stick and eventually got it out.

Good Luck and enjoy the fishing this weekend!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Larry, thats terrible! I wish you the best of luck with the repairs. If I lived anywhere near you I would make a trip to help you out. Even though its a small area to work in, good company always makes things go smoother. Have a beer on me...let it wash your worries away.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xplosivo1
Larry, thats terrible! I wish you the best of luck with the repairs. If I lived anywhere near you I would make a trip to help you out. Even though its a small area to work in, good company always makes things go smoother. Have a beer on me...let it wash your worries away.
+1
I'd be round in a flash, 6 pack in hand

Old 06-20-2009, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys, I'd be providing the beer and medicinal herbs if needed

I'm off to go fishing.. My dad just got his boat out of storage, we're heading out for some big *** stripers..

What motorcycle?!

Old 06-21-2009, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I'm off to go fishing..
And when you get back, you will fix the bike easy.

Seriously, sometimes you just need to walk away and clear the mind.
Come at it with a fresh mind.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

If the valve keeper (collet) fell down the opening for the cam chain, lean the bike over to the clutch side, and just remove the clutch cover. It is probably laying around either on top of or beneath the crankshaft cam chain sprocket or fallen down in that area. I haven't had to take my KLX apart yet so I don't know where there are any openings between the crankcase/transmission and the clutch side. If it went into the crank or tranny, it's split the cases time. Hopefully it be in the bottom of the clutch cover.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Roadglider - that's tomorrow's plan, thanks for the tip

Ok, pulled the head today.. To my surprise, not much damage at all.. Tiny bit of piston damage, but I can smooth that out..

The valve looks A-OK except for the stem being chewed a bit where it slipped through the retainer.

Would I be OK with just ordering a new valve/retainers and just slide it in? Or do I need to get it to a machine shop for something? I'm hoping I can just order a valve/retainers, slip them in, and call it a day? The valve seat doesn't look damaged.. Neither does the valve but at $25 I will get a new one anyways.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw your other post on TT. As your going to do I'd certainly replace the valve and valve keepers. Just to double check after you pulled that chewed up valve through the guide to remove it. I'd inspect the valve guide. Shine a light through it and make sure there are no scratches,goughes. I'd probably replace the guide seal as well. Brewster seems like a very knowledgable fellow. He is right about pouring a liquid into the port and checking for leakage. You may want to ask brewster but I've always at least lapped new valves in, even if the seat wasn't ground or cut.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow Cousin Larry, I just got back to this thread. I am very sorry that this happened, and while I salute anyone for diving into the bike for major changes, this is something that I have never and will never do. That's why I bought the extended warranty. Yea I know it won't last forever but if something needs done like this, the shop is my first choice over me and my skills. Let us know what happens. I hope you are back up and running in time to enjoy the summer.

Quick Reply: Can anyone tell me if my compression releaser is broke?! (video)