Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

its fooked

Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

$250 ??? Where? I want one!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

The cams aren't the only hydro-static bearing in the bike, the piston rod journal most likely looks just like those cam journals... Do Not bother putting a new top end on it till you examine the piston rod journals.

Oil is what makes the 'hydro' for a hydro-static bearing... so journals take the hit first when a motor is run with no oil, though the rest of the motor took a hit as well. You should be ok if you just replace the cams, head, piston rod journals etc...

Take some advice from what EMS and myself are saying, and check the crank dude! Or be a sad panda later.

Last edited by LikesToThump; 05-10-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

That engine is shot.
I don't buy that the engine burned all the oil up out of the crank....without a whiff of smoke. To burn up all that oil, it would need to smoke like a burning tire.
Someone forgot to put oil back in after a rebuild or oil change, sorry dude.

If you can get a used motor cheap, I would get it and put it on a shelf. Throw that thing back together, fill it up with heaver oil and see how long it lasts.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

that d tracker motor is for sale...

Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Duriel k
It was smoking real bad, the second day after the 330 was installed.
After I topped up with a litre, it soon needed topping up again
I'll go and talk to kawasaki

Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Probably wasting your time if you're thinking of some kind of warranty claim or other remedy. Since you put a bigger jug and piston in, they will consider that a non-OE mod. They might be able to offer advice, but I suspect you'll get the same "advice" you're getting here.
Sorry for the bad news.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alric
We didnt notice any smoke that day, but next day, I noticed that an inlet manifold bold had dropped out, and there was a gap letting air in the cylinder.So I put a new bolt in. Riding down the road, the engine was losing power, I stopped and found no oil in the engine. I put a litre oil in, and rode home slowly, noticing a lot of smoke from the exhaust.
From your statement, my comment still stands, the engine was ruined because it had no oil. When you put oil in it, it smoked. It is virtually impossible to loose 1 quart of oil around a worn piston without a huge smoke screen.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

To burn that much oil on a brand new engine rebuild, either the rings were not positioned properly (can be tricky to get it right), or your countershaft seal (on output shaft) is leaking badly. And it may be hard to detect as it is right behind your sprocket. But since you saw it smoking, I suspect it could be a ring issue. 1.5 litres total capacity is NOT alot of oil, and just loosing 1/2 of that can cause low or lost pressure problems. And those cam journals (the most pressure critical plain bearing on this motor) cannot tolorate a loss of of pressure and the 1st go if it happens. All it takes is once, and the cam journals overheat and 'fuse' what was the aluminum head bearing surfaces onto the cam, destroying the head. That being said, you can get a head repaired, there is a company in CA that specialzes in motorcycle head repair of this type, about $150 per cam. Also, I would guess the remaining engine may be ok. The other bearings are mostly all supported on roller or ball bearings, and tranny can tolorate some starvation and still be ok. LOwer end is supported by some big roller bearings, connecting rod, as I stated, I think is also on a roller bearing. Either way you should still tear down completely to inspect, particularly that new 331 top end, and have someone look at the crank, before replacing or repairing that head.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 AM
1st Gear Member

As I said, the 330 was an old piston/barrel of my old bike, with new rings.
Now I have a new 250 piston in it
I've been told of several other klx here that have the same problem,but kept running
The oil was not contaminated when it was changed, so I'll leave it as it is until I get some bad noises from the bottom end.
I havent heard of anyone in thailand that can repair the head properly,and I ride too much to have the bike off the road for a week
Its out of warranty anyway, but the kawasaki mechanics can probably offer some good advise, as they deal with so many of these bikes.