Camping Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by armycopter
Has anyone ever done overnighters on their KLX (1-2 nights)? I would love to put together a few things, hit the trails all day, then pitch a tent or whatever and sleep trailside. Maybe even bring some portable fishing gear. I really want to do it with my son and his bike too. The ultimate goal would be to be able to do the whole thing over a weekend.

I've done a search but there doesn't seem to be anything related. I've searched here, ADV, google, etc. No ride reports that I could find. (well, I did find one guy on a four wheeler who did it alone).

I'm not sure how to even get started. The land where the trails that we ride are owned by lots of different people. Plus, there are fire laws etc. Then there is gas to consider...

I would love to see some KLX owners who have done this. Also, what their gear looked like, etc.

Thanks! I'm not really expecting much but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask!

Mark
Here's my setup last year riding from NM to West Fest then the CDT to RMAR. Plenty of info on ADV :dunno

Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I've hauled the KLX on the back of my jeep for camping outings and also camped off the bike directly.

Hauling the bike to camp is an easy deal. Load the bike. Then start throwing stuff in till you have everything you need, then add in more stuff that you don't need, then off you go.

Camping off the bike takes a little more forethought. Given the minimal load carrying ability of the KLX, it will be a minimalist experience. Dirt bagz are nice, but a cheap waterproof duffel and a couple of rock straps from the WalMart camping aisle will get you going. My bike camping kit includes a lightweight sleeping bag with compression sack, a sleeping pad that rolls up to about the size of a nalgene bottle, a quick dry shirt and convertible pants, socks, underwear, a pair of sandals to wear off the bike and a toilet kit. I use a 2-man tent or a hammock depending on the weather outlook. If I'm going to do any cooking I add a pair of tank panniers for a stove, coffee pot, etc. I carry water and tire tools in a camelback.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

If you know where you'll camp, of course you could go there before, truck in some firewood and hide it and your set. I know I go thru a ton of firewood once I get settled at the camp and drinking
I went camping with some buds and we split stuff like carrying the tent, etc. We went ahead and submerged some beer in the river we were going to camp at. One thing, don't bury your hatchet in a branch over your tent. Sap all over the place and tough to pack. Have fun, we had a great time.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Aerostich.com has a great selection of motorcycle camping gear (and a great catalog too!)

Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the same Idea and started collecting stuff for it last fall. Hauling the bike is too easy, and kinda defeats one of the purposes of a 'Dual-purpose' bike. I only want to take what I can carry with me and the bike. I picked up a pair of saddlebags(for a sportster) at a garage sale which fit nicely over the back of the seat, and a tall hiking backpack. Food would be minimal as I always planned on stopping at stations frequently for gas anyway. The little 2 man tents at walmart are under $20, and if you layer enough clothes you can use it for bedding and pillows. Once the weather clears up this spring I'll give it a try.