cam position

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: cam position

ok.. how many miles are on your bike now, i hit 4,000 miles... i think im gonna try to go to the 4tth clip position to richen it up in mid range.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm at 2,200 miles. I also checked my exhaust header, it's tight. The tick is definately coming from top end. It's not bad enough to worry me. I did have a mishap during a water crossing saturday and completely submerged the bike. It's possible that I have some water in my tank, I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow, that sounds like a whole new topic and some story tellin', sullydirt ... don't hold back. Got any photos? Inquiring minds want to know ... what happened, are you OK, and more importantly, is your bike OK

Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Brian,

Yep, I'm fine and the bike is fine. There were four of us riding Sat morning. It had rained quite a bit last week. We went through an area with a lot of water holes. We went through some of the smaller ones and they weren't very deep. I hit one that started shallow, suddenly it dropped off, the front wheel sank in and stopped instantly. I went for a superman ride, but fortunately landed in the water. The bike was completely under water. Just after that Dan on a DR650 did the exact same thing. It took us about two hours to get the bikes drained and started.

I don't have pics, but my friend Adam had a video camera and recorded my dismount. He is trying to convert it to mpg, I'll post it when he does, it's pretty funny.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

well, i think my noise is getting worse... now its making noise at a lower rpm.... and when its around 1k to 2k rpms....i can feel the whole bike vibrating with the tick....... im really pissed off now...... i think im just gonna take it to the dealer, all the rejetting voided the warranty huh?

Old 09-12-2006, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525
im just gonna take it to the dealer, all the rejetting voided the warranty huh?
I doubt it, but I wouldn't mention it.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea im gonna put the stock exhaust back on, when i take it up there.... or do you think it would matter?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

None of these mods should void your warranty. However, like all warranty claims, so much depends on your dealer. I've never had warranty work turned down because of mods like this. All the same, I'd not mention the jet change.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea im not going to, but the noise its makin is for sure not just a mid range lean condition... something is wrong...

Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You checked your valves, right, but you didn't make any adjustments, is that correct? Did you remove any of your cams or anything that would possibly affect the timing, i.e., is it possible your timing is off a tooth? I don't think you did, and I think the whole reason you were checking the valve clearances was because of the ticking in the first place so it didn't just start after you checked your clearances, correct? Did it get worse after that or is it about the same? You did remember to top off your oil after your valve check (no offense intended, just trying to cover all the basis)? Low oil may result in excessive noise.

Did you ever have your cam chain tensioner removed? If so, when you reinstalled it, did you release the ratchet and install the body first, then the spring and bolt after the body was fully installed and tight? If the installation order is not right, the chain will be tensioned too tight.

These are just a few thoughts - sorry I had more questions than answers, just trying to be clear on the sequence of events. At any rate, your dealer should be able to help, but it might cost a few bucks, better than letting a potentially damaging problem go too long though and cost you more later. Also, I wouldn't mention the jets, but it really shouldn't matter w/regard to warranty. About the only thing you could do that could cause engine damage is run it waaay too lean, but I'm sure that's not the case - most of the jetting done for performance richens it up a bit. And the pipe wouldn't affect warranty, either. But ... you might want to toss the old pipe back on anyway, that'd be one less thing the dealer has to question you about. As Todd said, a lot will depend on your dealer - if they are good, those items will be no problem and they will dig in with you and try to figure out the noise. But if they suck, they will try and use those to void your warranty.

Quick Reply: cam position