cam position

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: cam position

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525
another question, if the distance is greater than it should be, does that mean a bigger shim?
Yep.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

lol... didnt your mother teach you to share..... hehe... thanks alot nobrakes... got it at the right tdc or not 180 out... u guys are the best... lol

Old 09-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey I'm more than happy to share, bro. In fact, I wish I could give you the whole bottle since that would mean I didn't need them anymore [&:]

I wish you were closer, I'd hit you up to take off my 300cc cylinder. It's a little hard to do one handed ...

Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea... hope u start feelin better soon... if i was closer id be over in a minute to help you out bro... anything for a family member...

Old 09-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Right back atcha, buddy!

Old 09-07-2006, 03:47 AM

where you have it "right" (to adjust valves) is tdc of the compression stroke, meaning all the valves are closed. on the exhaust stroke the piston will also at tdc at its highest point but the exhaust valves will be open, you probably had it on the exhaust stroke.
also remember that the crankshaft will turn 720 degrees to the camshafts 360 degrees, meaning you might have to turn crank more than one revolution to find tdc of compression stroke. keith

Old 09-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok checked the clearances... they seem to be fine... so anyone got any idea why my motor was "ticking" really loud, i could hear it over the big gun with quiet core out.... do you think that the timing chain adjuster just needed to get another tooth out? does anyone elses motor tick? sounds like a valve noise on a car.... if its normal i can deal with it but it didnt sound normal....

Old 09-07-2006, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

ok checked the clearances... they seem to be fine... so anyone got any idea why my motor was "ticking" really loud, i could hear it over the big gun with quiet core out.... do you think that the timing chain adjuster just needed to get another tooth out? does anyone elses motor tick? sounds like a valve noise on a car.... if its normal i can deal with it but it didnt sound normal....
Yup, I know what it is and did the same exact thing you did. Tore off the head and checked the valves and found nothing wrong.

After I got it back together and it was still making that noise I stuck my head down there while the bike was running and found the the noise was coming from the catalytic converter. You see, its made of hard plastic and vibrates back and forth making that ticking sound. The nice thing is that it there is nothing wrong with it and doesn't hurt the bike at all. Its just annoying as hell when you dont know what it is.

Now I will tell you what everybody else told me here....

At least you know how to tear the head apart now.

As for the TDC thing. This is a "four" stroke. When you have both of the cams pointing at the spark plug you are in between stroke 2 and 3. you need to be between strokes 4 and 1, which has the camps pointing away from each other.

Hope this info helps.

rich

Old 09-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i have the complete big gun exhaust, so i dont have the converter anymore....

Old 09-07-2006, 05:35 PM

Welp, then I don't know. what you described sounded exactly like what I went thru. So it may be the cam chain needs to be tightened. I am sure one of these guys knows what it is, cause now I am stumped.

sorry man.

Quick Reply: cam position