Cam mod vs webcams?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Cam mod vs webcams?

So with all the excitement around Marcelino's Cam Mod it got me thinking... Webcam racing cams have been around a while now (Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts / Kawasaki KLX 250 SF (09-10) DOHC 4v). How would they compare to this "free" cam mod?

And there appear to be 2 "grinds" available too - which ones compare closest to the free cam mod? The 631 (Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts / Kawasaki KLX 250 SF (09-10) DOHC 4v Timing Card) "Excellent throttle response. Increases overall power." or the 101 (Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts / Kawasaki KLX 250 SF (09-10) DOHC 4v Timing Card) "Larry Roesler's favorite. Quick acceleration with plenty of mid and top end power."

The reason I ask is that if I am going to have to pay to get the ACR changed coz I can't do it myself, it may be worth my while just getting a set of racing webcams and keep my stock ones "in case".

Any opinions?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've been considering this for quite some time too, Arctra. I had an original '79 KLX250 back in the day with a Powroll cam that really worked. I also had a couple of XR250's with a Powroll cam...nice addition. None of my cams were high rpm screamers, as that wasn't what I was after.

The first cam on the Web Cams site looks like the one I would want. It appears that neither cam requires heavier springs, but the LR model may be getting close. I thought I looked at their site last year and saw a 3rd cam that required heavier springs, but maybe I was dreaming...or they dropped it.

Marcelino's mod is a neat trick for basically no money, but I know the Web Cams would be ideally ground to suit the KLX in a compatible way. My KLX250S has an OEM 300 cylinder and piston. I'd probably install a new set of OEM springs just to be safe because of my mileage.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't you have to send your cams to them for welding and regrind though?i thought i read that somewhere.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I am in the same boat. I wish someone would dyno back to back on a 351...unless I do it I dont think it'll happen...

Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
Don't you have to send your cams to them for welding and regrind though?i thought i read that somewhere.
I believe it's an exchange on core basis, but if they don't have a core at the time, I guess you'd have to send in your own.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I would be very curious to see the numbers on a fairly stock 250cc KLX with the web cams.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PTECH
I would be very curious to see the numbers on a fairly stock 250cc KLX with the web cams.

Me too.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Looking at the cam timing spec's for the Webcams, they have shorter duration than the stock cams, which is a surprise to me. I don't have the valve lift figures for the stock cams to compare to Webcams.
For the $320 PLUS CORE price tag for the Webcams, Marcelino's mod is a bargain and can be converted back to stock.

Ride on
Brewster

Last edited by Brewster; 06-28-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Looking at the cam timing spec's for the Webcams, they have shorter duration than the stock cams

Brewster

No they don't.

They are measured at .050" lift (the proper way). The stock numbers you are looking at are probably the advertised numbers.

Stock duration (off the top of my head) is 211 at .050" lift. It's pretty short.
An aftermarket cam/proper performance grind should make a world of difference on this bike. In fact, add another 20 degrees duration, and 1 mm lift, and advance them both 6-10 degrees, and it should probably make awesome power everywhere. I will in time.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
No they don't.

They are measured at .050" lift (the proper way). The stock numbers you are looking at are probably the advertised numbers.

Stock duration (off the top of my head) is 211 at .050" lift. It's pretty short.
An aftermarket cam/proper performance grind should make a world of difference on this bike. In fact, add another 20 degrees duration, and 1 mm lift, and advance them both 6-10 degrees, and it should probably make awesome power everywhere. I will in time.
Please check Webcams information before commenting as they post BOTH methods of measurement.

DURATION 250 DEGREES
DURATION AT 0.050" 224 OR 229 DEGREES, DEPENDING ON WHICH VERSION.

Stock cam has 264 intake and 260 exhaust.

With no cam profile graphs, the above is all we have to compare.

Ride on
Brewster

Quick Reply: Cam mod vs webcams?