Cam Mod Failure Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cam Mod Failure Update

So, I bought new valves, gaskets, etc. Slapped her all back together with the 10.5 degree timing change. Started up mint, I had to adjust my idle right away. I changed my jetting a little bit richer. Everything was going fine. I went for a little spin around the block, no issues. So, I took it out on the highway. I noticed a significant increase in power from 4000 - 8000 rpm. The bike even "feels" a bit different.

Anyway, after my ride, I got home and the bike is making a ticking in the top end. Everything is still fine though. I'm not sure what it is yet, but I'll pop the valve cover off yet again.

Long story short, if you want a rippy bike, then buy a bike designed for it. The cam mod does yield some power changes; however, I don't feel that it has created anything amazing.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CokeyoDrips
So, I bought new valves, gaskets, etc. Slapped her all back together with the 10.5 degree timing change. Started up mint, I had to adjust my idle right away. I changed my jetting a little bit richer. Everything was going fine. I went for a little spin around the block, no issues. So, I took it out on the highway. I noticed a significant increase in power from 4000 - 8000 rpm. The bike even "feels" a bit different.

Anyway, after my ride, I got home and the bike is making a ticking in the top end. Everything is still fine though. I'm not sure what it is yet, but I'll pop the valve cover off yet again.

Long story short, if you want a rippy bike, then buy a bike designed for it. The cam mod does yield some power changes; however, I don't feel that it has created anything amazing.
I don't want to scare you or anything...but when I did the cam mod, I had that same ticking noise. I even went through the process of getting opinions from others on this forum about what the noise could be. It was coming just out of the top end as your describe. Turns out, it was my valves hitting my piston. Cam mod and 100 miles later and....

Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Really dude. Anyone who read your trials and tribulations knows your mechanical skills were to blame. And the fact that you were power shifting at 10k. Don't try to make it sound like the cam mod did that to your motor.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Your ticking could be the auto tensioner not taking up all the slack. The power difference in the 4-8k range works for me. I am rarely below 4k and I don't bounce it off the limiter. Just completed a 95 mile dual sport ride today and the bike ran great. Rode with a KTM 450 and XR650R. They kept looking back in the woods and on the highway expecting to have to wait. I was with them the whole way.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

2veedubs---I read that as it was the forum members fault for not recognizing the ticking sound was the piston hitting the valve LMAO--- BTW the piston cant hit the valve more than once, cause once it touches the valve, the valve breaks instantly. IT doesnt tap on the piston for awhile then break.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Valves are brittle, they can snap off even when the motor is turned by hand with a ratchet.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 AM
1st Gear Member

buy a 350 kit that will smoke this awesome free mod and be done with it, leason learned i suppose

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Man Im happy for you.. I have a ticking sound after installing webcams.. its just how it sounds now.. peace

Old 10-17-2011, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

lol idk about u guys but that piston makes me so sad inside... looks like she still had low hours.

I dont have that much experience with bikes but i know when i've pulled heads on some 350s n such with my dad (primarily built to drag), and u can see little nicks on the piston and valves every now and then... not saying its good but hey it happened, probly when the motors were under and heavy and intense load obviously, but they ran all the way till the rebuild...