cam chain adjuster/tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default cam chain adjuster/tensioner

I know the thing is auto adjusting but does the shop manual tell us how to position the cam chain and remove and reinstall or possibly preload the tensioner?
There is some info here that says some of the tensioners are problematic and I don't know if that means they allow the chain to get continually sloppier deliver too much tension on it?
How can we look after it??

Thanks, Steve F

Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chainslack
I know the thing is auto adjusting but does the shop manual tell us how to position the cam chain and remove and reinstall or possibly preload the tensioner?
There is some info here that says some of the tensioners are problematic and I don't know if that means they allow the chain to get continually sloppier deliver too much tension on it?
How can we look after it??

Thanks, Steve F
I believe the shop manual explains it. Do not preload it, and don't force an adjustment. The spring is all the tension it should have. Problematic auto tensioners do allow the chain to get sloppy, and when that happens the noise is like a coffee can with rocks, shaken not stirred, around 5K rpm. Krieger, maker of a great manual tensioner, makes a good argument that the auto tensioner can also put too much tension on the chain, especially if a forced adjustment is made.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Before installing the stock tensioner, you release it all the way & install it allowing max chain slack or slop. When you start the engine, it automatically tightens up to take up slack. Some have experienced excessive chain slack/noise and replace with manual adjusters. I run the stock on after rebuild, the stock unit is working for me.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

When it quits working you'll know.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
When it quits working you'll know.
he he. ain't that the truth!

Some of the stock auto tensioners work many years and miles without fail. You WILL know if you have half of an ear.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

A good tensioner will only allow movement one way. When you take it out, you'll see. Before you put it back in, you need to remove the spring otherwise it will fully extend on you. You install the base first, and then the spring mechanism. It's straightforward once you look it it. Mine failed and allowed the plunger to push back in. You can see the shinny spot on the plunger. It was slipping 5 teeth or so. The noise wasn't as loud as some describe, but I had a rattle I knew wasn't right.

Attached Thumbnails cam chain adjuster/tensioner-imgp2767-medium-.jpg   cam chain adjuster/tensioner-imgp2772-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Lotrat; 02-10-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I saved your pics and text and got the manual info also.
If I want to remove and reinstall my tensioner do I put the engine in a certain position as if I was coming back together from a valve adjustment?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chainslack
Thanks, I saved your pics and text and got the manual info also.
If I want to remove and reinstall my tensioner do I put the engine in a certain position as if I was coming back together from a valve adjustment?
The engine doesn't have to be in a specific position when you pull the tensioner and reinstall it, but you must not move/rotate the engine at all before properly reinstalling the tensioner.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Good Help--thank you

Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

you can remove it whenever you like....just make sure you reset it (push it all the way in) before putting it back in....but, you need to take it out when you do the valve adjustments and you are taking the chain off the cams...

Quick Reply: cam chain adjuster/tensioner