Called on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Called on my bike

Man, this is painful to read about the bike EMS. YYY's guy? Whereabouts in Ontario are you? I'm about 20 minutes South of the Massena/Cornwall border in NY. Shoot me an email to help keep this sorta on topic.

Oh what the heck, here's a pic from last year. All cleared with our 04.5 Sportsman 500 HO, and you better believe I'll have a track cleared out for the KLX when we get some snow this year.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1878/4B8F88874F7741AFB4F8E629A9C4E188.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2006, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

My bike is back!

My dealer called yesterday to tell me the bike was ready to be picked up. Everything was covered under warranty, the mechanic said that the problem was a bolt on the intake cam which wasn't torqued properly and/or didn't have loctite applied. The bolt worked it's way loose, the intake cam developed a wobble, warping the cam, bearings and generating a lot of heat before the other bolt let go. The timing chain came off with the gear, the piston apparantly hit the valves and so on........

Here's the list of parts they replaced,

Cyl Head Assy
Cam shafts (Intake and Exhaust)
Cam chain
Valves (Intake and Exhuast)
Piston and Rings
Valve springs
Assorted gaskets and seals

Basically, the engine has been rebuit from above the crankshaft. I rode it home from the dealer about 20 miles and this afternoon I took it out on some dirt roads. It runs great, I noticed the engine no longer has the tap which I believe it has had since day one.

I'm happy that Kawasaki and my dealer (US One Powersports) backed up the bike. I would have hated to pay that bill.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Great new, Mike! Glad you're back in the saddle again. Now if we could just get EMS...

Willum
TC

Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sullydirt

My bike is back!

Good to hear, Sully! Keep both wheels on the ground.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great news sullydirt! From your mechanic's analysis, I think this sounds like a one-off problem and is no need for everyone to get too concerned. If there is anything to be gleaned from this, though, I think it does say that Kawisaki stands solidly behind their product, at least if it is under warranty. Which, I guess they are legally bound to do, but there are many out there who would try and wiggle out of responsibility by saying you used the wrong oil or some other such nonsense.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Great news!

Since virtually everything above the crank was replaced, do the dealer have any recommendations about another "break-in" period? Although the cylinder is the same, seems like a new piston and rings would need to "settle in" a bit. Also, you mentioned the tapping sound that you had from day one is gone. That's a good sign!

And everything was covered by Kawasaki - Excellent! Let the good times roll!

Old 11-26-2006, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Good stuff, glad you got it back Mike, just hope EMS gets his soon. Oh and 2 cheers for Kawasaki and their dealer for covering it. hip hip horray, hip hip hooray.

[8D]

Old 11-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

glad to hear it sully dirt... that would have sounded like a perfect time to upgrade to the 300cc.... did you ask them about that... wonder if they would have done it... im thinking no

Old 11-26-2006, 03:16 PM

H'mmm, not torqued or missing locktite! I wonder if it was built first thing Monday morning.

I talked to Sullydirt and the cylinder was also replaced. It's a new engine with regard to the upper end. Break-in is required. And the dealer even tossed in a year's warranty!

Actually, I've been a fan of Kawasaki for many, many years. While they might not have some of the glitter of other manufacturers, they sure do have some of the stoutest engines - at least in my opinion.

I'm still very glad I bought the KLX250S and I like the bike a whole lot. It gives me all the fun I want off road and that's basically what I use it for. If I'm on the road for a long distance before I ride 'improved off road' then the KLR650 or V-Strom is saddled up for the day. If it's just cruising down the interstate, having to get somewhere face, then the Concours makes the ride. Multiple Bike Disorder does have it's benefits! In my opinion, there is no one "Do-It-All Bike" and there will never be one. I've looked at and ridden most of the "Adventure Bikes" around. I like the stable I now have. It does all that I need it to do. I have a bike for just about every situation that I might encounter.

The KLX250S has become my "Play Bike" - that is to say I will be playing with the bike - adding a pumper carb, probably updating the camshafts and ultimately going to 331 cc's. To date the KLX250S has:

Acerbis 3.7 Gallon Tank - I have already put 3.0 gallons into the tank after a ride.
13 tooth countershaft sprocket.
Renthal aluminum handlebars - the bend is not what I want, so Moose "Raptor" bars will be replacing them soon.
Moose handguards.
PerCiVal Mod.
N1TC needle with clip on 2nd groove down and collar.
#128 main jet
#40 pilot jet
7/64ths hole in slide
KDX220 snorkle
HMF Slip on
USC Skid Plate

I hope to be adding some Pro-Moto Suspension parts here soon. I fully expect my pumper carb to be in this week.

Despite the problems that Sullydirt and EMS had, I personally think they are isolated cases and the entire breed is not affected with problems.

Now, one of my other bikes, the KLR650, has an "issue" with a part that holds the tension on the balancer chain. It has affectionately been called "The Doohickey". Mine has been changed. The spring that supplies the tension had broken. I was lucky, I found the broken parts of the spring. I have changed many of these for fellow riders. There is an issue with almost 50% of the parts I have changed - either they're broken or simply won't work. On a recent 1990 model, "The Doohickey" was intact, but it was bent so badly that it would not function and the spring was so limp it did not supply any tension. After the work, all the low level noises in the engine were gone. The KLX250 has a gear to drive the balancer.

I had researched the bike prior to buying it. It is a typical Kawsaki development - a "Make From" product. The KLX250S comes from the KLX300R, which came from the original KLX250R of the 1990's. The motor is basically unchanged in design in the past 12 years. I think it is a good design am still glad I chose to buy one. Remember, these bikes are built by human beings and we all makes mistakes in the things we do. At least they can leave Coke cans inside the door panels!

So, let's get back to riding and enjoying our bikes!

EMS - when you get your bike back - and you will and it will be fine - come on down to "Tour de Apalachicola" in January. I believe Sullydirt, KLXStiffler and a few others will be there. It will give you a chance to meet the southern gang!

Old 11-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I talked to Sullydirt and the cylinder was also replaced. It's a new engine with regard to the upper end. Break-in is required. And the dealer even tossed in a year's warranty!
i sure hope i get an extended warranty too.... ill be asking about it...

ya got some infor on that tour marty? ill see if i can make it. if i recall i think you posted info about it somewhere.....

Quick Reply: Called on my bike