Called on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Default RE: Called on my bike

Sullydirt,

So, since it was mechanical failure, what are they going to do for you?

Without oil on the top end, things will get pretty darn hot, might even have turned the cams blue! If the cams got that hot, I'm sure the head is toasted - the cam towers are probably scored so bad that they can be replaced.

Now, did it overheat the cylinder? Man I sure do hope so! Why? Because I would be negotiating to pay the difference between a new 250 jug and a new 300 jug! If they replace the jug, then the piston needs replacement along with the rings. You might be able to negotiate an almost no cost 300 upgrade! I know that I sure would be pushing for that.

What was the first thing you noticed about the bike the day you had problems? Any noises, overheating or whatever?

Had you recently serviced the bike?

Sure does sound like an oil flow problem to the top end of the motor!

Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

would oil starvation cause the timing gear to fall off the end of the cam? thats what essentially caused the failure.....

Old 11-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Well, I have been privy to some photos of the top end. The cams had turned blue - that only happens from extreme heat!

That heat would be caused by no oil on the top end, causing the cams to turn very hard. Without oil, the tops of the valve stems would probably be toasted also.

Now, as the heat builds, the amount of force to turn them increases, which in turn makes more heat. Something has to give in this situation. With the added force, there is additional vibration. That is what caused the bolts to back out. Plus with the expanded metal in the cams - from the heat - I'm sure things were getting pretty vibey in the motor!

To answer your question, yes I do.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

photos?[sm=ttiwwp.gif] dont be stingy.....

but seriously id like to see them too.... and your explanation makes sense.... sounds worse than originally believed... that sucks man...

Old 11-17-2006, 04:12 PM

Do you remember that TV show . . . . . "You Asked For It!" . . . . probably not as you're too young.

Well, here goes!

Notice the pretty blue color of the cams in the top picture! That is caused by oil starvation!

Old 11-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

is anybody else able to see those pics... im just gettin the text like this [ima ge]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/KLXRider/100_3009.jpg?t=1163772711[/im age]

but yea i see its blue... that sucks....

o yea.... i am too young... dont know what show your talkin about

Old 11-17-2006, 05:11 PM

I do not know what it up with Photobucket - but I just put the photo on another site.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i can see it now.... doesnt look good.... sorry sullydirt...

Old 11-17-2006, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Man that Sucks guys, Sorry to hear about all the problems your having. Hopefully these are Isolated incidents and NOT indicitive of probles with the design of the motor/motorcycle itself. I also notice that all these issues seem to be happening at around 4 to 5 thousand miles. My big concern about this is that it's a potential issue with All our bikes. My second concern is that I only have 550 miles on my bike so far, By the time I get to 4-5 thousand miles my warranty will be long gone. Good luck and keep us informed of what happens.

LV

Quick Reply: Called on my bike