C/S sprocket removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default C/S sprocket removal

I was trying to take my C/S sprocket off today and I took the guard and bent the washer back that was tucked in front of the large nut.

I had my rattle gun and still could not remove this sucker. Is there anything else locking it in like an allen key or cotter pin that I am missing or is this thing just that tough to get off? I was using a 27mm socket and that seemed to be the size of the nut. Any tips, pointers?

Last edited by PSUdude85; 02-26-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Get a bigger rattle gun.

I had the same problem and had to take it to a mechanic with a big rattle gun.... Still took a him a few attempts.....

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I may just have to do that. The threads are standard threads (righty tightly lefty loosey) right? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't tightening it more LOL

I may put some PB blaster on there since there was a lot of mud and gunk around it when I took the bracket off.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, standard threads, shouldn't need PB. Try getting it in 3rd or 4th gear on the ground, and have a buddy on the bike standing on the rear brake, then use a breaker bar to loosen the nut.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Rattle gun worked the best for me. I still took a few tries. Make certain that the washer is flattened wel, all around. I put anti-sieze on my threads once I got the nut off, and have had an easier time with it since.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

My rattle gun wasn't up to it either but a buddy has a bike shop and knocked it off for me.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Once you have the countershaft nut off, you do not need to tighten it up more than snug. As long as the washer is bent over after installation. I tighten mine with my fingers. I don't understand why the factory cranks it on there.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I was able to remove mine with a cordless impact after I heated it up with a propane torch. Just go easy with the heat. Had to do the same thing on my ZRX.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I use a breaker bar with a pipe over the end for really stubborn c/s/ nuts. I also put a bar through the rear wheel to 'lock' it against the swingarm. Good idea to strap the front brake lever to the bar too.

Manufacturers have been known to use red threadlocker on these nuts. Heat helps break that bond.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Once you have the countershaft nut off, you do not need to tighten it up more than snug. As long as the washer is bent over after installation. I tighten mine with my fingers. I don't understand why the factory cranks it on there.
Don't be over-reliant on that peened over locking washer. I have a buddy who's had one come undone twice. Bigger bike and he likes to wheelie, but still, blue threadlocker won't hurt.

Quick Reply: C/S sprocket removal