Buying used.. what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Buying used.. what to look for

I have found a few used KLX250s in my area for a reasonable price.

What are some things I should look for or check before I make the plunge and buy a used KLX?

BTW all the bikes Ive found are completely stock.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

One thing I would look at is does it have new looking plastics, levers, mirrors. and or turn signals. That would be a sign the bike has had a lot of naps and they dressed it up to sell. original plastics with scrapes would not bother me much as its expected.
I would check the condition of the chain and sproket. If the chain is all a$$ed out and the sproket is sharktoothed that would indicate to me they probably did not take care of the rest of the bike either(Regular oil changes)
I think your safer buying a bike that is stock becuase someone that was wanting to ride it hard would have probably upgraded the power.
Jusy my thoughts. There are many other things to check

Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Add to the above, shocks that dont make squishy or bubbly sounds when compressed, brake rotors that aren't worn funky, rust isn't evident on bolts here and there, check feel of bearings in stem front/rear wheel no grind or wobbly, look for play in the rear linkage... it all depends on how deep you wanna go... bring a compression tester? Either way they are reputedly good reliable bikes and stock shouldn't hurt themselves too much if cared for at all decently. Seat look like it's been stored outside in sun or garaged...etc etc.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

How many miles on these bikes?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

the 2006 has 6500 miles on it. One 07 only has 750 miles. That seems a little low for a 3 year old bike that looks ridden.

Last edited by Kobrakriss; 07-09-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

oohhh I'd probably skip both.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

unless of course the price was REALLY right

Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
oohhh I'd probably skip both.
The 06 looks like it has been well taken care of. How many miles can you put on the 250ccc engine before you have to rebuild it.

If i can talk the guy down from the ($2500) price. I can use that extra moneys for a big bore kit.

IM guessing its 95% street driven by the looks of it.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

No one seems to have gotten that far yet. I've seen bikes with close to 30,000 miles on them on the stock cylinder. It all depends on how well the bike has been maintained.
Oil changes being the most important.

I'd look at stuff like these other guys have brought up. If all that is good(rotors,brake pads,chain,sprockets) and the bike is real clean anything under $2500 is a decent deal.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

On the 07.. mine only had 650 miles or so when I bought it this summer ... but it LOOKED like it only had that and was obviously hardly used. A bike that looked really worn with that much mileage, i'd be skeptical of careful break in process, but as long as it runs strong and is right otherwise, I wouldn't be too scared it's a dual sport and off road riding doesn't take a lot of miles to look well ridden, a little mud, a little rust, and a few scratches go a long way to making a bike look old...you should see Deej's bike, clearly on it's last legs.

With the thought of the big bore kit though, I'd go for the bike that is cleaner and more maintained than less mileage... you'll get 0 miles out of the big bore, and end up with a better looking and probably better cared for ride.

Quick Reply: Buying used.. what to look for