BUT what about the FMF slipon pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default BUT what about the FMF slipon pipe

So I'm starting to think about exhausts and Ive seen most of the posts about the muzzy and big guns but I'm wondering about the FMF slip on exhaust.

You see I had a Suzuki dr250s a few years ago and I had the Big gun race system on it. Nice system but like the first day I had it my dress pant leg Burned on that nice headpipe and stained it. Never did get it off.

So this time I'm thinking of just going with a slip on because I actually like the stock headpipe and guard on the Klx and because I want to save some bucks if possible so I have been thinking about the FMF muffler. Seems with the quit core this muffler is as quiet as the stock one but still makes the power needed for this bike. My Harley is loud enough and I would like to have the Klx not real loud. Also is there Any Real Benifit of going with a custom head pipe over the stock one.

Your thoughts on the FMF slipon please, Especially if you actually have one installed. Thanks...

LV

Old 08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Default RE: BUT what about the FMF slipon pipe

I would like to know the same thing, but also if you use the slip-on, does it also have to be re-jetted or will the bike run ok with only this mod?
thanks

Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shn7926

I would like to know the same thing, but also if you use the slip-on, does it also have to be re-jetted or will the bike run ok with only this mod?
thanks

Steve, your in Tampa, Me too.

I would suspect that the answer to that would be yes you need to rejet the bike with any after market exhaust. That and open the airbox in some way to get ore airflow in. I havent even done the Free mods yet but starting to think about things.

LV

Old 08-02-2006, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

ORIGINAL: shn7926

thanks

Steve, your in Tampa, Me too.

I would suspect that the answer to that would be yes you need to rejet the bike with any after market exhaust. That and open the airbox in some way to get ore airflow in. I havent even done the Free mods yet but starting to think about things.

LV

Yes you would have to rejet...but...

The slip-ons that are offered out there are for the 300, not the 250. this is because the header pipe on the 250 is an inch shorter than it is on the 300. if you can get a header off a 300, then yes, you can use any of the slip ons out there.

but until somebody starts making a slipon specifically for our bike, it won't be happening.

Unless you know someone who knows how to weld.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:05 PM

IMHO:

For my bigger bikes, I don't care about getting rid of the header pipe (well in fact I don't mind just staying with the entire stock exhaust), but for this bike:
a. I need to open up the stock exhaust as part of opening up the bike to extract the hidden (needed?!) power;
b. if I replace the header pipe and not just the exhaust can, then I can get rid of the catalytic converter (and its weight).

So, for this particular bike, I want to replace the entire exhaust.

Hi Steve, from Tampa also!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: okiswede81

Yes you would have to rejet...but...

The slip-ons that are offered out there are for the 300, not the 250. this is because the header pipe on the 250 is an inch shorter than it is on the 300. if you can get a header off a 300, then yes, you can use any of the slip ons out there.

but until somebody starts making a slipon specifically for our bike, it won't be happening.

Unless you know someone who knows how to weld.

Hmmm, well maybe I messed up. My posts states the FMF slipon I ment to say the HMF slip on and they seem to be ready now. Check the link below.

http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums...ead.php?t=1617

LV

Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

The HMF slip on will work perfectly with the stock 250 headpipe. Their site also has a complete writeup on the carb mods with pictures. They give you the carb mods that will be required for that setup and they provide dyno sheets comparing the before and after. The parts aren't included but they tell you what you need is what I mean.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

The HMF slip on will work perfectly with the stock 250 headpipe. Their site also has a complete writeup on the carb mods with pictures. They give you the carb mods that will be required for that setup and they provide dyno sheets comparing the before and after. The parts aren't included but they tell you what you need is what I mean.

Yep, when it comes to selecting my future exhaust I will consider the HMF slipon. I wonder how it compare's to the Muzzy and big gun setups are far as horsepower / torque increases.

LV

Old 08-04-2006, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I would consider the slip on for sure but other than the dyno test there is absolutely nothing else about that pipe i can find. Nothing about how to order one or more importantly how much it costs. Anyone know this info or where to get it? Other than emailing them.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

On the main page of their forum they have a store front link and you can order from there. Last I knew they were around $230. Sidenote, they use rivets to hold the can together so it has to be sent back when its time for it to be repacked.

Quick Reply: BUT what about the FMF slipon pipe