Bump start with no spark possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 09:21 PM
Default Bump start with no spark possible?

Hey all. My 2009 KLX250 wont start. It cranks but wont start. I tried many things including draining the carb bowl, fresh gas. I was able to bump start it the other day. The next day it would not start. Today I checked the spark using the spark plug grounded to engine method but no spark using two different spark plugs, the one that was in the bike and a new one. I have not tried bump starting today since my wife is not home yet to push me, but would the bike bump start if the there is no spark from the plug? Is the possible problem there is no spark from the plug? Getting ready to take it to the shop.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

No spark, no start. It's really that simple.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I want to see pics of the wife willing to push you on the bike. She's a keeper...LOL!

No...you will never get a bike with no spark to start even if you push it across the country...but your wife will be very tired.

On a serious note, it is interesting that you got the bike to start the other day with bump starting. I'd think your issue with the "no spark" would have been present then too. Are you really sure the plug spark check you did had the plug well grounded? It's hard to see that spark sometimes, and sometimes the plug is hard to ground properly. Just for grins, remove the seat, airbox cover, and filter. Have the battery fully charged. Spray some starting fluid as far into the airbox/carb boot as possible. Yes, the vacuum slide won't open with the throttle very much, but open the throttle anyway and crank away. If there is any spark, you should still get "cough" out of the engine on the starting fluid. Many KLX's have cold start issues due to several debatable issues discussed here, but use some starting spray fluid like I described to at least eliminate a fuel issue. That fact that you bump started it earlier has me su****ious about whether you really have a consistent spark issue. You have nothing to lose but very little time and some starting fluid by trying what I suggested.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:41 PM

Thanks. I tried the starter fluid in the air intake but still did not start. I was able to bump start it only so I guess there is a spark. I will take it to the shop and post result.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:15 PM

The bike is in the shop and the shop is having trouble diagnosing the spark issue. They say the bike has no spark and I told them I bump started it to get the bike to the shop. I am wondering, there is a rubber grommet/plug cap that goes over the spark plug that I removed when changing the spark plug and did not put back. That should not make a difference in the spark issue right?

Old 05-25-2021, 01:37 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the rubber boot for water intrusion you're describing, but that shouldn't affect spark except in water crossings or heavy rain and such. Electrical and ignition diagnosis over the internet is hard, but perhaps you have a weak spark that bump starting overcomes. Keep us informed as to what the shop finds.

Old 06-08-2021, 04:47 PM

The shop cannot nail down the intermittent spark issue. They did get the bike started but the spark issue returns after the bike sits for a few days. At first they said it could be the kill switch now says it could be the CDI box. Apparently if they tap on the CDI box the spark comes back. They recommend a new CDI box. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:34 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It's hard to say if they are exactly correct on their diagnosis of the CDI unit. Usually these units are dead or alive...or...they are sometimes affected by heat where they will work until the unit gets hot and quits. Even this condition is often fairly repeatable. That is when the bike is cold, the bike will start but then dies when the bike warms up and the components in the CDI unit get warm. The more common condition is the dead or alive situation. It's not totally impossible that their explanation of tapping on the unit can't occur, it's just not the common failure. Being that tapping is allegedly causing the unit to start working, I'd also look for a loose connection in the CDI plug.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:50 PM

Thanks. I have the bike home now and of course it wont start even with my tapping the CDI with my hand. It was running yesterday (supposedly from tapping the CDI with a rubber mallet) when I picked it up and drove it home . I do not see any loose connections in the CDI plug so I am going to replace the CDI. I dont know what else to do. I'll post the result.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yes, let us know. That's an odd one.

Quick Reply: Bump start with no spark possible?