bumming... broken exhaust mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default bumming... broken exhaust mount

Kinda bummin right now... My exhaust mount for the rear can broke off and i just noticed it yesterday. Thinking of a few diffrent ways to fix/prevent it from breaking again. oh and its a full muzzy exhaust thats on there right now
1. weld on another flat 1/8" steel plate and have a longer "sloted" hole to allow for movement forward or backward depending on where the exhaust likes to sit (before it was being pulled on by the springs kinda makin it hard to bolt it all together, probably what broke it in the first place?)
2. Buy and exhaust hanger kit from auto zone for 6 bucks scrap all the crap except that black rubber strip with the holes in it. put one end over the sub frame and bolt it back to the can. so you basically have as strap over the sub frame then back down to the can on both sides of the can mount, with a bolt thru all 3 holes. follow me there?
3. go thru the pain in the *** procedure of putting everything back to stock fourm and bringing it back to the dealer to fix.
4. listen to what the brains of this fourm can come up with...

come on guys, i'm sure this isnt the first bike to break an exhaust mount... wha'd you do?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bumming... broken exhaust mount

been there done that already.same exhaust and bracket.
I went withidea #1.made a new bracket out of some heavier gauge metal and had a friend weld it up for me.
look anly an hour or so.not really a big deal .
that was over 5000km ago and no sign of weakness.
good luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

did any other brackets break on you? or it was just that one.

yeah i think i'm going to weld mine as well... but this time i'm putting a rubber bushing inbetween the can and the mount. should help it out a little

Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

i broke mine also. here's what i did.

since i still had the threaded part i had a friend weld that back on. what you see in this pic is a washer that i had him weld onto the threaded part to give it some strength. i ground down the top flat so that it met up with the frame better. i cleaned this up a little then painted it silver so that it wouldn't rust.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I wonder if one of the Adell clamps would work? Just a thought.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

did any other brackets break on you? or it was just that one.

rear signal light bracket right hand side.removed the left over light and added flushmounts like many others have done.
rear subframe.only the left hand side.added a nice beefy gusset and rewelded it back togther.
I think thats it.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

just about to write a new thread on the broken exhaust mount (as its just about to break on mine)and here we are..... so any body thought of making a bracket that has two or more weld points. I mean a type of triangle so that the stress is passed evenly through sub frame.....kinda like the stock was..? maybe it was put there for a reason -I mean is it worth the extra fooling around to make or does the new mount ( 2 pt weld) work..?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Same break wit Muzzy

For those with this issue in the future.

The metal between the welds is very cheap and gives way - the original two little welds held though. I believe the Muzzy puts strain on this location - more because of the tension of the springs holding the exhaust to the midpipe. The OEM exhaust canister has 3 mounting points - we just have one on the cannister.

My local body shop thoroughly welded a bevelled one inch steel washer in the appropriate location with a nut welded to it's backside as well. Seems clean and strong. I added a rubber washer to the mix although I was told it would provide little value.

The original metal / weld lasted about 1200K with the Muzzy - time will tell how this fix works.

If you are mostly off road and install a Muzzy I would suggest you beef up the attachment when you install the exhaust.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Same here - Muzzy, broken hanger. There is obviously a design flaw in the muzzy system. They should have used both stock mounting locations and they only used one. Plus the spring tension that holds the can on is just making it worse.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

funny i put a hard 6500k on my 07 with out a prob other than the noise

Quick Reply: bumming... broken exhaust mount