Bucky D/S ride report

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bucky D/S ride report

Crossplains WI 2010 Oct 23

Drove up by Madison yesterday to ride in the second annual Bucky Dual sport ride. It started raining as i left the house, and rained for the entire hour rand a half drive up. It hadn't rained in about 6 weeks around here, so naturally Murphy's Law says that since you have something big planned it will now rain. Once there getting ready in the rain was kind of a pain, but once I had my $4.99 Harbor Freight rain suit on I felt pretty good.

Name:  Picture1331.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  138.6 KB

Signed in and rode over to the sound check where my 351 with the FMF Q4 @ 4200 rpm showed 91db on their meter. (FWIW the sound check was under a pop up shelter.) Back for the riders meeting and then off and running around 9am. The rain only lasted until about a half hour into the ride, but it put down enough water that it made the trails slick. Some of the guys on bigger bikes and guys with 50/50 DS tires were having a lot of trouble. These caused some big traffic jams in the early sections. This was a steep down hill with a traffic jam, you'd move 20 ft and turn your bike off.
This guy was stopped but when he let go of the front brake to raise his hands, and ham it up in my pic, he started sliding.
Name:  Picture1333.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  163.9 KB

Name:  Picture1332.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  184.2 KB

Once down you had to go right back up another snotty hill, this was the bottleneck. No one was on the uphill when I reached the bottom so I hit it. The 351 and a fresh-er knobbie on the back took me right on up. After that the trails were mainly wide open. With the rain gear on it was harder to reach the camera, and also I didn't want to stop too much because I knew, between the earlier traffic jams, and the slippery conditions I would probably be off the clubs planned pace.
Bike ran great, and only needed a couple naps throughout the day Just before lunch they took us across a freshly plowed field. This soil was about a foot deep, loose, and had the consistency of sand. It was weird!!. You really had to pin it and set back. (Most of the soil in the area is the blackest dirt you'll ever see, in fact a nearby town is named Black Earth.) Running across these fields the bike started to run funny, then quit. I ran out of GAS!!! had to switch to reserve. Made it to the lunch stop had some real good brats and fixins. They knew their mileage was a touch long and had a splash of gas for any one worried about making it the 2~3 miles to the gas stop after lunch. I was pretty sure I had the distance left in the tank and I had a tow-rope in my tools if I didn't . Made it to the gas and put in 1.6 gal. It was hard to get back on the bike after lunch, but there was still plenty of fun left. I did a couple off road sections twice and all but one of the hero sections and got back to the start at about 4pm. Loaded the bike, shot the breeze with my new buddy DRZ-Dan (parked in front of me on the street)
who bought me a beer out of the trunk of his car Went on into the VFW hall and had a fine pork dinner, after which they handed out raffle prizes. Last year the club donated all their proceeds to the VFW hall to help them construct a veterans memorial. The donation was over $3000 last year. This year they were donating all the proceeds to one of their own members who's wife had fallen while hiking with their kids, and been paralyzed. they had $3000 from the ride itself and then they did a 50/50 raffle, and they auctioned off some items raising even more money. The winner of the 50/50, an unemployed guy, donated the winnings right back to the woman. I bet the donation got close to $5000. When her husband got up to thank every one he couldn't finish, brought a tear to my eye. It's great to see someone that really needs help get it, and get all of it, not a tiny cut of your donation.

View looking up the only hero section I didn't try. Looks kind of steep in the pic, but like most pics it's even steeper in person.

Name:  Picture1337.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  255.2 KB

Off road sections were connected by some great twisties.
Name:  Picture1342.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  190.3 KB

Here's some helmet cam footage. This is at maybe the second hero section, it's a straight fairly steep rocky uphill. Last year I tried three times to get up this spot. The first two times big rocks shot me off the sides into the bushes, the third time I got too far back on the bike and it ended up wheelie-ing and flipping out from under me. The family that lives at the top of the hill was out spectating that day and I guess I gave them a good show. They cheered me on, and even came down the hill to help me pick the bike up after the third crash (I was beat)
This year with a bored out engine and new tire it was no problem. Seemed easy, like I should have been able to do it last year????
Footage is somewhat pixelated.
It's a standard GoPro camera. Straight off the card the quality is decent but it really takes a hit when it's uploaded.
Dan

Click on the image to play. vvvvvvvvvv

Last edited by dan888; 10-24-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oh man, dan, that sucks that the course wasn't a bit drier. That soil looks like it would be ideal for traction in a day or two. Hey...what kind of event is this? If you're on a trail at an event in my area, it's usually either a type of enduro or a cross-country. Everybody would be going hell-bent. A lunch break?...man, that sounds good to me. Any massages at the gas stops?

Boy, black dirt. It's awfully good when it's somewhat dry, but it's usually gumbo when wet. Around my area when we have black dirt, it's usually so thick and gloppy it will stop the wheels with pack-up all the way to the fenders. That stuff didn't look quite as bad thankfully. How long and how many miles?

I'm curious with your Colorado trip and some of these rides you take that you haven't gotten an aftermarket tank. Just wondering. On your comment about how easily you climbed that snotty hill that tripled you last year, I really think that's due to the powerband you have now. I noticed an increase in climbing and traction performance just going to the 300 jug. The bike just doesn't slip the tire as much at the lower rpm you can pull. I am still amazed at how well these bikes will climb.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry I couldn't make it, Dan. I got busy with stuff then didn't go to register until they were all full. Next year. I'll be doing the Big Woods again in June.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
Sorry I couldn't make it, Dan. I got busy with stuff then didn't go to register until they were all full. Next year. I'll be doing the Big Woods again in June.
Feral D I meant to arrange things so we would find one another at the ride. When I got there I looked around for other KLXi (is that the correct plural for KLXs? ) Only saw two. One was under a kid from Freeport IL (just west of Rockford) and the other I didn't see anyone on until late and he was pulling away on the bike like he was a local riding home. Sorry you didn't make it, but at least I didn't miss you. Would be a shame to get to the same event and not even say hi.
The last two rides I have attended, new friends there have told me to do the Wabeno ride, must be a good one. It's a ways away for me but not too far, maybe I'll see you there.
Dan

Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Oh man, dan, that sucks that the course wasn't a bit drier. That soil looks like it would be ideal for traction in a day or two. Hey...what kind of event is this? If you're on a trail at an event in my area, it's usually either a type of enduro or a cross-country. Everybody would be going hell-bent. A lunch break?...man, that sounds good to me. Any massages at the gas stops?

Boy, black dirt. It's awfully good when it's somewhat dry, but it's usually gumbo when wet. Around my area when we have black dirt, it's usually so thick and gloppy it will stop the wheels with pack-up all the way to the fenders. That stuff didn't look quite as bad thankfully. How long and how many miles?

I'm curious with your Colorado trip and some of these rides you take that you haven't gotten an aftermarket tank. Just wondering. On your comment about how easily you climbed that snotty hill that tripled you last year, I really think that's due to the powerband you have now. I noticed an increase in climbing and traction performance just going to the 300 jug. The bike just doesn't slip the tire as much at the lower rpm you can pull. I am still amazed at how well these bikes will climb.

TNC the ground was getting pretty good later in the day, so yeah the next couple days would probably be great riding. I don't mind the mud. I guess it's not as fun, but it's an added challenge, and relatively speakin I think I do better in it. In other words I'm just about as fast as the faster guys..... in the mud.

Yeah not a race at all, it's just basically a trail ride. Guys stop at the resets and take a break or wait for the rest of their buddys to catch up. The club writes your number down at the start , at lunch and at the hall at the end just so they know if everybody made it back alive. I have yet to do an actual competition ride. On these "rides" if somebody is having trouble in front of you , you generally wait for them to get out of the way instead of running over their wheels and smashing by them. Although at times you feel like dong just that , It's frustrating because there are usually a number of guys out there on bikes or tires that they should have left at home. You give them a minute and if they are not making progress you ease by or lean your bike on a tree and go help them. Usually after the first off road section or two the slower guys having trouble are behind you and it's smooth sailing.
Funny that you mention a massage, I told my wife that's what they needed to have at the end. Just taking your boots off, putting on dry clean clothes, and eating a hot hearty meal made me happy. So you could say it was a happy ending but without a massage (go ahead, put on your comedian hat)
We have good black dirt around here but up in that area it is so black it almost looks blue. I think it would be treacherous if it were really wet.

I forgot to ask the mileage this year, and I didn't think to write down my actual mileage before we started. Last year it was just under 100 miles. This years seemed longer (they did have to shorten the ride last year because it rained so much in the weeks before the ride.) I want to add up the road miles on the roll chart just to see how many miles were on the road.
Extra tank space? That may be the next shortcoming I address. Biggest reason is probably cost, second is fitment. I know you love your big tank, but I'm really rough on my bike and I don't want any tank outside the frame. No offence, but I don't know if I really like the looks of the Acerbis tank, and I think I would poke holes in it, look at my shrouds . I can't keep the IMS and the Clarke tanks straight but unless I'm wrong neither are specifically for the 06-07 KLX so there are fit issues. Also those two only gain you about a half gallon of extra fuel, and at over $200 that half gallon space is expensive real estate. I need to do more homework on the tanks, and I'm curious to see what the new one for the "09" offers. Maybe IMS will make the new tank compatible with the older KLXs too.

LOVE the POWER from the big bore. No worries when going up hills, the extra juice just inspires confidence. The hero section hill in my crappy video was a piece of cake this year (it is steeper than it looks) . It made me feel like I totally should have been able to do it last year, even with the stock engine. I would say the proof is in the pudding right there. Everything from last year (failed x 3) to this year (cake) is the same except the number of cc's in the combustion chamber. Big bore = winner winner chicken dinner. From what you have said it sounds like just stepping up to the 300 jug makes a huge difference. Nice, isn't it?
I really love this bike. A buddy, at work, was asking about my bike. He recently got back into riding (he had bikes as a kid). He bought a KTM and is dismayed at the maintenance intervals and cost. He told me he is supposed to change oil every 10-15 hrs. Two quarts of synthetic oil and a filter. He said its a $40 oil change. His is plated but he doesn't ride it to work because it would cost him $40 every two weeks just in oil changes..Not bashing the orange bikes, they are a lot that the KLX isn't, but the KLX sure can shine in their own spot as a do it all.
Jeez that's a book
Dan

Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Amazingly I forgot something. The ride being more laid back is a good place for younger kids to get into riding, and gives the older guys a chance to keep riding. This year I saw one guy riding, and riding well, with his son riding on the back. Impressive.
More Impressive, a guy named Bill Smage. He lost an arm years ago in a car accident. He has ridden the whole Bucky both years they've put it on. I sat next to him last year at dinner, and had a great conversation. His nephew Pat is, or was the U.S. national trials riding champion. Look him up on YouTube.
Well now I can't find a pic I have of Mr Smage riding his bike all rigged up for single handed use. Impressive for sure.

link to last years ride. Lots-o-great pics. Jim, if your reading this, we missed you and your camera at this years Bucky. Check out Jims great shots, and my ok ones, from last years Bucky.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ighlight=bucky

Last edited by dan888; 10-25-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

What a beautiful place. Looked like fun. I think of Dan888 sometimes when up in the moutians and I run though some trees and it reminds me of some of you photos.

I have cousins in the midwest (Iowa) I need to go there agian one day.....

Win-Win. Nice ride and sounds like a great feeling to help that lady...

Ride on!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:45 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Wow! on the one armed guy. I know a guy nicknamed "man-with-one-hand" who rides big hit, long travel mountainbikes and does it well with one arm. He has the trickest linkage setup with a small MTB shock contained in it attached to his elbow area and the grip on the handlebar. He can ride hard and get some air with that whole rig. Crazy. And we complain like a little girl when the seat is too hard.

You don't like my tank?...that's outrageous! And I used to like you. I don't know...I began my love affair with big tanks from my enduro days and from watching decades of Paris-Dakar rigs.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Wow! on the one armed guy. I know a guy nicknamed "man-with-one-hand" who rides big hit, long travel mountainbikes and does it well with one arm. He has the trickest linkage setup with a small MTB shock contained in it attached to his elbow area and the grip on the handlebar. He can ride hard and get some air with that whole rig. Crazy. And we complain like a little girl when the seat is too hard.

You don't like my tank?...that's outrageous! And I used to like you. I don't know...I began my love affair with big tanks from my enduro days and from watching decades of Paris-Dakar rigs.
hahahaha your killin me.
Well now,,,,Um,,, I didn't actually say I didn't like it. I danced around, and came as close to saying it as I could so that I didn't hurt your (or more likely someone else's) feelings.
I'd like to see the set-up that MTB guy has, sounds cool. Very cool to see people out doing what they love, instead of letting physical limitations keep them down.
Your right , think you got it bad? usually someone else has it worse.

The route was about 116 miles long.
One of the ladies that rode this year just answered my mileage question over on the ADV forum. She said she had 116 miles. She skipped two of the hero sections, and a little MX track we had the option of using.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...595222&page=14

Dan

Back to zero friends

Last edited by dan888; 11-04-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

cool pics and vid...looked like a tonne of fun

Quick Reply: Bucky D/S ride report