Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

consider if it were to short out and kill the bike in the middle of a river crossing

Old 12-10-2008, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

The last time I use this dealership for any repairs, or another purchase. I have been on their butts about the bike getting fixed, I just got tired of hearing the same old pitch line. Even the General manager called me a while back, and said " you know we are about customer service and if there was anything we could do about it, we would". There is another shop in the other direction from my town about the same distance that will be doing my service for now on. Going to call the dealership today and find out an update, and of course here their story, again.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

that sucks man.... i was in that position....... good luck, and be patient.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Tell them you want a replacement bike now. Don't you have a government department that can help you with this type of thing? We have one called the department of fair trading which helps out with things like this. I had a new monitor that had 3 "bright pixels". The shop and importer would not replace it until I got onto fair trading and it was replaced the next day.
Good luck

Old 12-11-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

MaverickAus, Thanks for the idea, I will look into it. The only problem here is living in California and with all the budget mess going on, they probably either cut the dept or cut the number of workers. I will definelty look into it today.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

But here is the real kicker, called the dealership yesterday and asked for the service manager. Find out he is no longer there and they have the regional guy in there cleaning up this guy's mess. So he checks on the frame for me and finds out that it is still another 2 - 3 weeks out, coming from Japan. I emailed Kawasaki and let them know of my unhappiness about the situation ( I know it probably went into the round file, like they care) but in the email I let them know I filed a complaint with the NTHSA about the frame and what happen. So today I will follow up with a phone call down to Kawasaki and listen to the Rep give me the customer service story, if nothing else they will have 4-5 phone calls on file about this and maybe, just maybe it will reach somebody at the top. Still looking at a month away, or more before I get my bike. Going to do some more research on the lemon law stuff.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

The dealership that sold you your bike COULD simply give you a new bike. then fix your defective bike when the parts became available and THEN sell it as a used unit. Yes, they'd probably take a loss on it but they are almost certainly making enough profit to be able to do this. THEN you'd be happy to come back to purchase parts and service and eventually another bike or three. DO NOT EVER give them any more of your business and tell everyone you know just how shabbily you've been treated! Until your problem is solved. . . smile and act thankful for the service they are doing for you or it'll be next FALL before you see your bike again. And as MaverikAus has stated, find out if CA. has some kind of consumer affairs help for you!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Magoo, Already discussed this with the dealership, they say they wont do that because they will be out the money. They will do it if Kawasaki pays them. Looked onto the Lemon Law, and the time is on my side. As far as never using them again, not going to say a word until my bike is sitting in the garage all fixed.
On the other hand called Kawasaki Corp. today and was told the service manager must have not understood the conversation yesterday, because according to Kawasaki my frame is being shipped out today or tomorrow from So. Cal and should be at the Dealership in 2 days. With the weekend, I will call the dealership on Tuesday to see if my frame arrived, like Kawasaki said it would. It gets better everyday.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by k9cali
Magoo, Already discussed this with the dealership, they say they wont do that because they will be out the money. They will do it if Kawasaki pays them. Looked onto the Lemon Law, and the time is on my side. As far as never using them again, not going to say a word until my bike is sitting in the garage all fixed.
On the other hand called Kawasaki Corp. today and was told the service manager must have not understood the conversation yesterday, because according to Kawasaki my frame is being shipped out today or tomorrow from So. Cal and should be at the Dealership in 2 days. With the weekend, I will call the dealership on Tuesday to see if my frame arrived, like Kawasaki said it would. It gets better everyday.
Hmmm, interesting. The dealership I am working with gave me the same 3 week quote, last week. This was after a month of not hearing anything from them.

What is the number for Kawasaki Corp., if you still have that handy?

In reply to others, about getting a replacement bike, from what I have seen, the other bikes that are in the showrooms are like this mostly, though, some have been completely filled in with a weld, though, I'm not sure if that will make a difference in the long run, since where the weld attaches too, in my opinion, is a weak link. I feel that this is a design flaw and I am hoping that the reason for the delay is due to a re-design of the frame and/or kickstand mounting point.

We shall see.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

At least when you do get your bike it will have been hand assembled by an adult instead of a 12 year old in Thailand. It may be a good idea for all of us to have a look at our side stan welds and have them beefed up a bit. The side stand tab seems to be quite large to accomodate the switch. That may give the side stand too much leverage on the weld and causing it to break. Wadayothink?

Quick Reply: Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?