Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im surprised kawi said they would replace the bike, when i had major motor problems they said they would replace every part before just giving me a new motor.... lucky... id really be pushing a new bike, if kawi says its doable get on that dealer. I dont know if you have been around long enough, but when i owned my bike for 18 months it was in the shop for 5. The dealer even took apart another klx they had for sale to fix my bike. grrrrrrrrr

Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey green242,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. . . been away from the computer. Mechanics (and the Dealerships) get paid by the Manufacturers "warranty" time for repairs to ANY vehicle that is still under warranty. At a GMC dealership I worked for in Lander, WY., that pay was 60% of what the job would have paid if the work was NOT under warranty. . . yeah, we got screwed into the ground on THAT work. This percentage varies by manufacturer, I'm told. I didn't stick around long enough with ANY of the various manufacturers dealerships , that I've worked at, long enough to find out what the percentages are/were! There's a reason why some folks refer to them as "Stealerships", it's not JUST the customers who get screwed.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Well here it is December 9, 2008 and guess where the bike still sits. Thats right in the shop waiting for the frame replacement. Called Kawasaki the week of Thanksgiving and they tell me it should be here the first week of December. Still have not heard if the frame is in, Dealership hasn't called me in 3 - 4 weeks, in my opinion terrible customer service, at least call me and give me an update one way or the other. So in total time down almost 7 weeks, and counting.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

dayum dude,, sorry about your troubles.. as soon as its fixed I would be researching at looking for a new shop

Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That sucks man, being without a bike is like being without food.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

k9cali,
One other thing I forgot to mention in my last reply to your post. . . SOME dealerships will park your vehicle (again, my experience is with car dealerships!) at the back of the lot and, sort of, forget about it while they perform the work (customer pay work) that pays better. I'm just sayin' . . . . .

Old 12-09-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Magoo
k9cali,
One other thing I forgot to mention in my last reply to your post. . . SOME dealerships will park your vehicle (again, my experience is with car dealerships!) at the back of the lot and, sort of, forget about it while they perform the work (customer pay work) that pays better. I'm just sayin' . . . . .

Yeah I can vouch for that,, my experiance workin at a suby shop was the same.. Warranty work is last last last cuase the technichain dont get jack,, he might get a couple tenths but thats about it and its a big job lol... but yeah ya gotta stay on there toes. let them know that your not stupid and you want your bike soon

Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Decided to check mine today. All is well in respect of the welds and frame.
However I did notice that the bolt holding my stand in place was missing it's nut and was to the point of falling out very soon. Some glad i checked this out. Could have been bad in woods if i lost bolt and stand dropped. Engine would have stalled (safety switch for stand would be activated) and would have had to jury rig something up somehow I s'pose. This would have sucked like a Hoover. anyone have problems with this?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Side stand switch delete mod.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah. . . very first thing I did to my bike. . . I hate stupid little things like that. We MUST be protected from our own stupidity, I guess.

Quick Reply: Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?