Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Update #4

So today I receive a call from the service manager, who tells me he just found out that the frame is on back order. He tells me the expect the frame on the 18th of Nov. ( in my mind I'm thinking, yeah right, If Kawasaki is saying the th 18th it is probably closer to Dec 18th), So I ask him why is it back ordered, he and he replies," i'm not sure, except that they probably don't stock them. I then ask him, how many other frames are affected, and he says, " not sure".
Told him I'm not happy about this and how Kawasaki is handling the problem. He was nice and pleasant and said if there were any other questions don't hesitate to call.
Will keep you posted, I'm going to fire of an email to Kawasaki about this and tell them how unhappy I'm with their handling of the problem.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by k9cali
So today I receive a call from the service manager, who tells me he just found out that the frame is on back order. He tells me the expect the frame on the 18th of Nov. ( in my mind I'm thinking, yeah right, If Kawasaki is saying the th 18th it is probably closer to Dec 18th), So I ask him why is it back ordered, he and he replies," i'm not sure, except that they probably don't stock them. I then ask him, how many other frames are affected, and he says, " not sure".
Told him I'm not happy about this and how Kawasaki is handling the problem. He was nice and pleasant and said if there were any other questions don't hesitate to call.
Will keep you posted, I'm going to fire of an email to Kawasaki about this and tell them how unhappy I'm with their handling of the problem.
I'm sure the dealer is as frustrated as you. Be sure not to take any of it out on them. They are in this mess with you.

I'm going to check my weld now. A serial # check might be in order too.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey k9cali,
Just to reiterate what je2000 just told you about NOT taking it out on the Dealership, I have been in the automotive repair/maintenance field for 20 years now and we DO, from time to time, get new products/parts that are defective right out of the box. The Dealer AND the mechanic get screwed to death (pay wise) for doing these repairs. It's unfortunate that the consuming public is used for product testing but it's expensive and time-consuming to do the testing required to launch a product that is "road-tested" and worthy of sale. Sorry. . . but that's just the way it is. . . .

Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Why would the mechanic get a pay deduction for something like that? Wouldn't they get paid hourly for what they work at the shop that day, and not what type of work is being done?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

So here is the new update. I called Kawasaki about the bike and was told by the Kawasaki Rep. that replacing the frame is not the only option the dealer can do. The dealer has the decision to replace the bike too. Kawasaki is still going to ship out a replacement frame so the other bike can be fixed and the dealer can then sell the bike as used. I asked the Kawasaki dealer if the frames are stamped with a VIN, and he thought they were. The reason I asked him this question, is having experience with VIN's, I know most vehicles have it stamped on the frame some where, and this is going to cause some problems with CA. DMV. There is the possibility that DMV will make this a salvaged vehicle which in turn hurts resale value and causes problems with the insurance company. So in closing with the Kawasaki Rep. I asked him if it was fair to tell the dealer about replacing my bike and that it was the dealers decision to do so. He said that was a fair statement.
So I called the dealership and told them that I just contacted Kawasaki in regards to my bike and told the service manager what Kawasaki Rep. had just told me. He seemed surprised that I contacted Kawasaki and found out this information, and after stumbling and a long pause, he said that he would contact Kawasaki again. I also pointed out the information on the VIN change and he tells me they just put a new sticker on the bike with the other bikes VIN on it. I let him know that it is not that easy with the sticker, most vehicles must have it stamped some where on the frame of the vehicle, just in case the sticker gets peeled off or damaged. All the phone calls took place on Nov. 5th and I still have not heard back from the dealer. It seems like a lot of work to remove every thing from the bike and put it on a new frame, just my thoughts.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by k9cali
So here is the new update. I called Kawasaki about the bike and was told by the Kawasaki Rep. that replacing the frame is not the only option the dealer can do. The dealer has the decision to replace the bike too. Kawasaki is still going to ship out a replacement frame so the other bike can be fixed and the dealer can then sell the bike as used. I asked the Kawasaki dealer if the frames are stamped with a VIN, and he thought they were. The reason I asked him this question, is having experience with VIN's, I know most vehicles have it stamped on the frame some where, and this is going to cause some problems with CA. DMV. There is the possibility that DMV will make this a salvaged vehicle which in turn hurts resale value and causes problems with the insurance company. So in closing with the Kawasaki Rep. I asked him if it was fair to tell the dealer about replacing my bike and that it was the dealers decision to do so. He said that was a fair statement.
So I called the dealership and told them that I just contacted Kawasaki in regards to my bike and told the service manager what Kawasaki Rep. had just told me. He seemed surprised that I contacted Kawasaki and found out this information, and after stumbling and a long pause, he said that he would contact Kawasaki again. I also pointed out the information on the VIN change and he tells me they just put a new sticker on the bike with the other bikes VIN on it. I let him know that it is not that easy with the sticker, most vehicles must have it stamped some where on the frame of the vehicle, just in case the sticker gets peeled off or damaged. All the phone calls took place on Nov. 5th and I still have not heard back from the dealer. It seems like a lot of work to remove every thing from the bike and put it on a new frame, just my thoughts.
Wow..just wow. All this because the kickstand broke.

Very good point about the frame and VINs. On the other hand, it seems so extreme to replace a whole bike because the kickstand broke.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

The kickstand broke the frame, or the frame wasn't strong enough to support where the kickstand was mounted.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Green242- The frame broke away from the weld at the kickstand, which caused the frame to bend up at the bolt hole near the kickstand. Also upon further inspection of the frame, I found either a small crack or pitted weld on the swing arm near the kickstand area. I noticed the tabs were not all the way welded and according to the service rep they should have been. I didn't do all this just for a broken kickstand, plus if this happen to mine, how many others are out there.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I know, I know...it's a vital weld there. It's just....stupid ya know?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I know, I know...it's a vital weld there. It's just....stupid ya know?
Not sure what is stupid?

Quick Reply: Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?