Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have read alot of posts prior to purchasing my 09 klx250s. This forum was one of the main reasons why I decided to go with the klx250s. I bought my bike about 2 months ago and have about 300 miles on it, mostly drive it to work and back. Bike has been running great and I really enjoy the bike. So here is the problem, yesterday after getting home from work, I stop on the driveway to open the garage and noticed when I put the kickstand down it appeared to be leaning more than before. Open the garage and ride the bike into the garage, put the kickstand down again and the bike almost falls over before I grabbed it and pulled it back up. So
I put it on a stand and look at the kickstand and notice the weld is competely broken away from the frame, and that the open circle with the bolt in it is bent up. I grab a flashlight and look under the kickstand area and also notice that it looks like the frame area where the weld is is also cracked. I have not taken this bike of road yet, and it has never been dropped or crashed.

Called the service center where I bought the bike, and advised them of the problem and they are coming out to pick the bike up on Saturday. I asked the service manager if he has heard of any problems like this on other klx250s and he said, "no". So I was wondering have any of you had the same problem or heard of the same problem. I will try and keep you posted on the outcome of this and how the service dept. or Kawasaki handles this.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

WOW! Well first of all, welcome to the forum. As far as the weld goes, it was just a bad job from the start. Made it past the QA department. The way I get on the bike, standing on the left foot peg with my left foot and standing up has resulted in no problems so far, and if anything should have done it then that certainly would have. Yea keep us informed, and like I said, welcome to the place.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you, so here is the funny thing. Being an old motor guy ( those in L.E will know what I'm talking about) I never get on the bike from the left side, always the right, so there is absolutely no extra force on the kickstand. I will keep you informed.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Didn't somebody post here (or over at TT) about a similar occurance? That the weld at the kickstand failed? Or was that you that posted that before at TT?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

There was another post on this a few days ago. I believe Kawi was going to replace the whole frame. there are some important welds in that area.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I checked mine out, and it is fine. No cracks at all. Thanks for mentioning it to us, so that we can check it out.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah after I read the other thread about it, I checked mine casually, haven't looked underneath the frame.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the only place i posted the thread. Do you have some more info on the replacing of the frame, so I can mention this the service dept. or where I can find it. they are picking up my bike tomorrow morning.
Thanks

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

IT is on this site somewhere and posted in the last month or so. Search it out

Old 10-25-2008, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I did search it out. only thing I found was for 2007 model

Quick Reply: Broken weld on Kickstand, Happen to anyone else?