Broken gauge glass replacement, pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Broken gauge glass replacement, pics

I guess I'm kind of rough on the ol' KLX It's fun to push my own limits. Exceeding my limits results in broken stuff. During the Leaf River D/S ride (ride report here https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=32160 ) I laid the bike over into a tree. I basically lost my balance in a slow spot, and leaned it over into the tree. The hit must have put too much pressure on the gauge cluster causing the glass to shatter. Not cool.

The gauge housing itself was fairly easy to remove. The glass is permanently installed in the housing. At the factory, the glass inserts are placed inside the housing and then a plastic backing ring is glued in behind them. I used pliers to pull the glass and the rubber seal out, and then went around the inside of the opening with a Dremel to cut out the glued in backing ring. I then measured the diameter of the openings and made a cardboard pattern that fit the opening. Next I traced around the patterns on some Plexiglas and cut them out on the band saw. To hold the plexi in place I ran a small bead of silicone around the inside of the opening. Laid the the replacements into the silicone and added another small bead on the other side of the plexi. I think it turned out well. I'm also thinking that the plastic will hold up better than glass.

Dan

Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

As always...another clean and unique angle on a problem. But...we all want to know...did you turn back that odometer while you were in there?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
As always...another clean and unique angle on a problem. But...we all want to know...did you turn back that odometer while you were in there?
We are never gonna forget that topic.

Awasome job!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Really nice job. The plexy should be much more durable, just watch what you clean it with. Some cleaners may put scratches in the surface.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
LOL , I thought of that thread when I had the thing all tore apart.

@canklx , your right I will have to watch it when wiping it off. If it gets too bad I can always re-replace it.
Dan

Old 04-17-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Good as new!! Good job!
I would have definitely backed the ODO a couple-two-tree thousand! hahhaa

Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Great fix. You have to get creative with these bikes from time to time. Kudos...

M

Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Nicely done!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Weird...
Name:  KLR4.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  new031.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  179.0 KB

But you know why they are glass right? So they dont scratch, i replaced mine with plexi too... but dont try to clean it off with your fingers if they are all muddy, it will scratch.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
But you know why they are glass right? So they dont scratch, i replaced mine with plexi too... but dont try to clean it off with your fingers if they are all muddy, it will scratch.
Right on right on. I did the same "mod" on my old KLR250. The plexi on that gauge eventually got scratched up a bit. Funny , our broken glass kind of matches.
Dan

Quick Reply: Broken gauge glass replacement, pics