Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brian your new pumpkin is ready

http://www.ktmfreeride.com/#/video

Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 03-28-2010, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Awasome concept and production. Price is way too high to be affordable. Then again, no gas, no maintence, simple, and costs only like 0.25$ to charge each time for a range of probably 60 miles or more. It could be a long term investment. Would I own one? Oh yes, it's comparble to the KLX in performance, but the cost has to come down in order for me to afford one.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmm it wouldn't load, just an orange circle of dots...I'll try later.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Awasome concept and production. Price is way too high to be affordable. Then again, no gas, no maintence, simple, and costs only like 0.25$ to charge each time for a range of probably 60 miles or more. It could be a long term investment. Would I own one? Oh yes, it's comparble to the KLX in performance, but the cost has to come down in order for me to afford one.
I agree, I think it's great, but still too expensive. But it would be the ultimate back yard, short haul machine. Opens up a lot of possibilities in areas where sensitivity to noise precludes other riding. That thing would be whisper quiet. Might be interesting if parks would allow it like mountain bikes, that'd be great, there are a lot more places to ride mountain bikes around hear than dirt bikes.

If they could get the price down to about $2K that may put it in where I might be able to swing it. Right now it's the same cost as a full on dirt bike. So if I could afford that, I'd still get a new dirt bike instead. Hopefully as they increase production the costs will come down.

It definitely looks improved in both production and specs over others out there like the "Zero" and "Quantya". The battery technology seems to be the big hold back, but that is improving every year. A big name like KTM behind it will definitely help to make them more mainstream, and thus more affordable as more people buy and production costs can be amortized over more sales. It's only going to get better.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

After digging around for some info. I came across a downside effect for the KTM Freeride. Everything looks good, except top-speed is 70km/h (43.5 mph). Thats not fast enough for street use. Tight trails and urban bashing would be fine those speeds. But open country, rural roads, open roads, deserts, or grass flats would allow for speed greater than 45mph.

If KTM wants this to be a killer e-cycle, they need to get the Freeride to go at least 55mph or 65mph at best.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...e-ar87050.html

Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the idea of an electric bike.
Looked at the Zero at last years Aus Moto GP.
A bit expensive but not way over the top IMO.
Good urban commuter but not much use to me for doing any kind of distance.
Still, its early days.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

A factory rep had one to show off at the Leaf River DS ride last fall. Looked pretty cool. +1 to the great urban commuter.

Name:  IMG_4774-1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  120.0 KB

Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'd take the one behind it.

Originally Posted by dan888
A factory rep had one to show off at the Leaf River DS ride last fall. Looked pretty cool. +1 to the great urban commuter.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I'd take the one behind it.
Don't you already own one!

Quick Reply: Brian your new pumpkin is ready