Break-In.....yes another thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Break-In.....yes another thread

New to the forum and gonna be picking the bike up Friday but had a couple of questions about the break-in. I read the article on Mototune and it seems there's two sides to this dilemma. The article says to run it hard for 200 miles or so changing the oil every so often. This makes sense to me but a buddy of mine just picked up an 09 KLR and he is doing the Kawi method of not above 4000 and then 6000 for 1000 miles........what to do and has anyone had problems with either method????? I dont wanna be TOO easy on it and end up with less power than I should once it's all said and done.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome
I followed mototunes break in and ran the snot out of it and changed the oil after 18KM
then after 100 then after 400....well over 3000KM to date and not a problem....no way you can keep these bikes under 4000rpm.....
Just change your oil right away dude before 30kms or so and you will see it looks like metallic paint it's that bad
Enjoy your bike

Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck figuring this one out! I'm at 275 miles and I have done a combination of mototune and the kawasaki recommendations. I haven't had my RPM's over 6000 but I have no problem getting on the gas and opening it up a bit. I also try not to bog the motor. No problem so far but again, there is a lot of controversy on this subject. Have fun with it either way.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Just drive it like you would normally. Just don't over-rev it or hold high rpm's for long periods. Also vary the rpm's by changing different speeds.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah - don't do Kawi's method - stick more to the mototune.

I was doing hillclimbs at 100 miles on mine when I first got it, drove it like I stole it from then on. When I swapped the piston/jug for the big bore at about 3500 miles, the cylinder wall and piston of the 250 looked brand new.

Did the same break in with the 350 and 500 miles or so it's running like a top.

FWIW

Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I did the slow painful break in. I believe Kawi knows what they are doing. There's also a break in oil the new engine that is supposed to stay in there until the first stage of the break in. My concern is that mototune break-in's will cause premature engine failure but I can't see that far into the future. My oil (Amsoil Synthetic) stays clean and full and my KLX runs fantastic after 3500 miles and 5 or so oil changes. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way but I plan on having my KLX forever so I chose the Kawi recommended break-in.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried to keep it under 4000 rpm's but the engine didn't like it, bogged it down too much. I took it to the dealership and let a mechanic drive it and he said 5-6000 was more realistic-- so I kept it under 5000 varying the rpms for the first 500 miles and then under 6000 till I hit 1000 miles. I then added new exhaust and jet kit and WOW , I get to ride a new bike again already broke in. Made a world of diff.!
Welcome to the forum and the klx world!!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ride it like ya stole it. you cant hardly hurt these engines. pulling out of the dealership i hit 7000 or so. got about 4000 miles on it now and it runs like a top.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
I did the slow painful break in. I believe Kawi knows what they are doing. There's also a break in oil the new engine that is supposed to stay in there until the first stage of the break in. My concern is that mototune break-in's will cause premature engine failure but I can't see that far into the future. My oil (Amsoil Synthetic) stays clean and full and my KLX runs fantastic after 3500 miles and 5 or so oil changes. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way but I plan on having my KLX forever so I chose the Kawi recommended break-in.
+1 on the slow painful break in.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the slow break in. Wasn't that painfull. Just kept telling myself that I was 'conditioning' my new engine. I plan to have this thing for a long time. Out on country roads, honking at the cows, and enjoying the ride. Only time will tell what method is best. I just figured that I only had one chance to break it in. Now my bike rocks and I ride it like a Motorhead. But, I've also done quite a few mods. Just decide and roll w\ it. Enjoy your new bike!!!

Quick Reply: Break-In.....yes another thread