Break-in period?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:57 PM
ale
Default Break-in period?

Guys, first off, killer site! I just picked up my new KLX250S this week and I'm loving it already. But like most I can't resist the urge to start making it better. How do you guys feel about the suggested break in period....I mean it's killin' me not to rev it past 4k for the first 500 miles. This is going to take weeks! Any other methods? And I've decided to get a full exhaust, mod the carb, and the airbox. Also, I want to clean up the looks a bit. All the reflectors and the rear fender need changed in my opinion. Does anyone have any pics of their bike with the different taillight and signals installed?

Old 05-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Break-in period?

Read it but keep in mind there is a lot of controversy with this method, and you have to do it in the first 20 miles.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 05-07-2006, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ale

Guys, first off, killer site! I just picked up my new KLX250S this week and I'm loving it already. But like most I can't resist the urge to start making it better. How do you guys feel about the suggested break in period....I mean it's killin' me not to rev it past 4k for the first 500 miles. This is going to take weeks! Any other methods? And I've decided to get a full exhaust, mod the carb, and the airbox. Also, I want to clean up the looks a bit. All the reflectors and the rear fender need changed in my opinion. Does anyone have any pics of their bike with the different taillight and signals installed?
Welcome! Do a quick search on this forum and you'll find a bunch of threads discussing these topics.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I asked my dealer the same thing about break in. His response was drive it like you plan to drive it everyday, however, 1) vary the rpm, 2) go up and down through the gears often to keep the rpm fluctuating, 3)take it easy at first but don't be afraid to rev it out to 7-8K however don't hold it there, just get it up there and grab a gear or let off 4) change the oil at 600 miles and yer good.

The first 50 miles I'd get up to 5K between gears and would ride on the road fluctuating from 50-60 mpg so varying from 5K-6K and road alot in 30-40mph speed zones and would go through the gears while maintaing the speed limit. I just hit 140 miles and don't fluctuate the rpm so much unless on a trail other than that I'm out on the road riding the speed limit. Thus far I've not noticed any smoke, oil leaks, or anything abnormal and the oil is still at the full line on the sight glass.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I used the Mototuneusa method and have not regretted it. It's the same way we used to break in new engines in the mid to late 70's. RING SEAT BABY!!
ORIGINAL: deej

Read it but keep in mind there is a lot of controversy with this method, and you have to do it in the first 20 miles.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm