Brake Line Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake Line Options

At the request of Thunderchild I started a new thread which is probably appropriate since the brake line guard thread was getting a little off topic. Thunderchild I have since tossed my KLX Galfer line but it seemed to look like yours. Mycaliper is "shaved" slightly to accept the line which will route underneath. I could e mail you a photo of my caliper if you want. As far as your brake line routing, I justdo not seriouslythink I would make it one ride without the line or the fitting being damaged most likely by rocks. Either by abrasion, hits, orcaught and torn completely off. Ihad my Galfer KLX line attached with a tab to the bolt on the front of the forks. A rock must have hit that tab just right,breaking it and without me knowing the line was getting shredded by the rotor. That scenario can't happen the way you have yours. It probably also wouldn't have happened with a brake line guard in the front of the line like is being discussed in the other thread. I actually liked the Galfer KLX line after I was done installing it but it ended up be a wast of money since it broke on the second ride out. The problem I had with the stock line was the "pipe" got pinched and bent a little. I couldn't figure out how that happened as itwas fairly wellprotected by my Four Stroke Works brake line guard. After myGalferKLX line broke I looked at some of my riding buddies bikes and they all had that CR type brake line and thats when Ifound out about the conversion. At this point all I can say is if you need to or just want to replace your line I can't see why you would not puta Cr type line on. The line is just much much more protected and less prone togetting damaged. Before the CR type line, getting line damage was always in the back of my mind. I don't even think about it anymore. If you don't ride much off road or where there is rocks or other such obstacles the stock line is fine with some type of guard. I also didn't notice too much improvement with the SS line vs the stock line. Maybe just a little.certainly not enough for that to be the only reason to buy a new line. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Brake Line Options

I took this option.

CR Routing
WR line

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/xrz71/PIC00006-1.jpg?t=1174235492[\IMAGE]

Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

OK,I have gathered a little more info regarding front brakes from my ride today. I never intended for this to be such a big deal. I ride with another KLX rider and it appears Kawasaki has a couple variations of the calipers. His doesn't have the "fins" underneathwhere the banjo bolt is like mine and in the picture of Thunderchild's.On my buddies, that area is void of any material at all. Thunderchild's is exactly like mine but without the relief cutouts or shaved area I was referring to earlier for the brake line routing. Thunderchild you could easily cut out the reliefs in the "fins" with a dremel in a couple of minutes and I think that would allowyou to route your line underneath. In looking at it again I still think that's what my line looked like. Ithink IMO it would not only look nicer but be more protected, especially with a brake line guard.It would also be better than the stock "pipe" that goes underneath. You also don't need the tab I was referring to that broke on mine. I was usingit to hold the line straight in front of the fork with KX fork guards which is what the stock fork guards do with the line holder built into them. Again,if you want to see what my caliper looks likeI can e mail a photo. I'm not good at posting photos on the forum. Something I need to learn.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

AgoosSS, All very valid points and well explained, thanks. Yeah, I'll go with the CR style next time I replace the line. Like I said in the SS line thread, I'm not real happy with the way its routed either. And like you said in the above post, it's always in the back of my mind when I'm riding in rocks, etc. If I rode more river beds and other real 'rock garden' type areas where my wheel could go between rocks, I'd never have put the line on like I did.

I do want to see the shaved caliper picture. I'll PM you my email address.

Sorry for the long delay between replies. I've been busy with another bike project... But that's another post.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:14 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

I took this option.

CR Routing
WR line

Old 03-22-2007, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

No problem Thunderchild. I think if you can get that line underneath and get a good guard like a FSW guard or maybe the one thats being made in the original thread you will have a good set up. Itshould stay put in the stock fork guards and be more forgiving underneath than the hard "pipe" of the stock line. The only thing I would be concerned about is, because it is not rigid underneath you need to make sure it can't be pushed into the brake rotor. I'm not sure if it can or not with the stock fork guards. I think my downfall with that line was using it with the KX fork guards. Once my tab broke, that was attached to the hole in the forks under the fork guards, there was nothing left to hold it from going into the rotor.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:06 PM

howdy JB1-- can yoiu tell me what model WR brake line yoiu used?? also was it an easy install??? I want to go with the CR setup ASAP- my tube is bent- not leaking YET!!!
thanks Mikem

Old 04-02-2007, 06:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm the one that did it. Its a Ride Engineering WR line, they only make one.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

KLXer What made you go the WR line? How did you know it would fit? Have you noticed any difference in the performance? Did you get the brake line clamp they say you need?

Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

The 250S has a long brake line to clear the gauges. I figured the longest one I could find could work. I did not know if it would fit for sure but ordered it anyway. It did. The longest ones would be for a WR or CRFX as they both have a headlight & inverted fork. I went WR since it was also a retro fit cable instead of just matching the OEM Honda (routing). Yes you need the clamp. The lever feel has improved significantly, the actual stoping power is probably not a huge difference but there is some gain----the KLX is still just not what I am used too (my street bikes with huge dual discs & twin 4 piston calipers). I posted a complete write up of how to do this--check the search for KX fork guards.

The main gains & reasons I did this were lever feel & proper line routing that isnt begging for trouble. Both were achieved. No more springy lever.

Quick Reply: Brake Line Options