Brake Calipers -- Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake Calipers -- Help

I changed my brake fluids today with the wheels off (also new tires) and now the caliper brake pads are closed. How do i release them so i can put the wheels back on ? Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Fit something flat in between and pry them apart. The caliper piston should go back inside the caliper.

Next time, when you take the wheel off, fold up a small piece of cardboard and stick it in between the pads to keep them spread - that's what I do.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Fit something flat in between and pry them apart. The caliper piston should go back inside the caliper.

Next time, when you take the wheel off, fold up a small piece of cardboard and stick it in between the pads to keep them spread - that's what I do.
got it,, i knew it would be simple but doesnt hurt to check.. Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Take the lid off the master cylinder while you're prying the calipers open. Keep an eye on the fluid level since you'll be forcing more into the master cylinder.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Punkinhead
Take the lid off the master cylinder while you're prying the calipers open. Keep an eye on the fluid level since you'll be forcing more into the master cylinder.
I wouldn't take the lid off, you run the risk of introducing air into the line. Just use a C-clamp or something to pry them apart. And as CousinLarry said, next time use a peice of cardboard or luan to stick in between so they do not shut on you.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

You don't have to remove the lid. I've never removed the lid when doing pads..
But if you do, make sure you clean it off real well first. Don't want any dirt getting in the reservoir.

Also if you remove the lid plan on bleeding your brakes which can sometimes be a PITA.

Just keep the lid on and you'll be allllll goooood.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Why would you need to bleed your brakes? Removing the cap is like removing the cap in your truck, it's on the air side of the fluid so you won't be introducing air between the master and the caliper so no bleed is necessary. As I recall, the cap is vented anyway.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Removing the lid won't introduce any air into the system. If it could we'd never be able to add fluid without having to bleed the brakes. I remove it to make it easier to watch and remove fluid as you separate the pads.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, you're right, I stand corrected. It won't introduce air, but it can introduce foreign objects.

That reason alone is why I don't pull the lid while compressing the caliper.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Do what you want, but I WOULD NOT remove the lid when pushing the piston back in the caliper. It will squirt fluid straight up in the air and all over your bike. leave it on.

David

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers -- Help