braided lines and frame Rust

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default braided lines and frame Rust

Hi guys,

So I got a new front and rear braided brake line from the UK. It’s a Goodrige brand set for a klx300r and cost me about $80AUD (including the shipping) from fleabay. Any way pretty straight forward install apart from finding a decent routing for the front. CR style routing made the line to long and it looked like it would snag in the bush. I ended up routing very similar to the pictures on this post….. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...=brake+routing

Any way while installing the back hose I took of the cover that protects the hose for the rear master cylinder reservoir and low and behold…… a nice patch of rust was forming on the frame where the hose is in contact. It wasn’t really bad cancer but it had blistered the paint and looked like it could become potentially serious. I guess the rubber collects water which has a hard time drying hence the rust.

My bike is an 06 model and I hose down and once dry spray with multi purpose spray after every off-road ride, I guess the multi spray just cannot penetrate this area or it would have been protected.

I have now treated the rust, primed and repainted with a good anti-corrosion paint and am looking at working out a way so the hose isn’t hard up against the frame. But just thought it worth a mention. If I hadn’t had a look the rust could have potentially eaten through with out me knowing. I guess this is one draw back from the steel frame.

That’s about all. I should have taken some pics but I didn’t even think about it. Also does anyone else have a Goodridge line and if so how did you route the front line?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for sharing on that potential rust point. That surely will make many people take an eye on it.

If you don't mind, what is that "multipurpose spray" you're talking about?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
If you don't mind, what is that "multipurpose spray" you're talking about?
I'm going to guess that's Australian for WD-40

--
Mikko